Why is my SPS peeling and turning white??

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more tanks have crashed by wrongly just using products becouse they say it will make the colors pop or remove bad stuff then tanks have crashed becouse someone got the basics wrong.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then one finds out they've got an unattended ulns that's killing their sps corals.

Nitrogen giving "products" to the rescue.

These products that Us Americans use can be greatly needed. What should have been said about products was blindly using them without knowing what one needs is bad, rather than the actual use in general.

All of my sps corals would be gone had I just stuck to the basics. Come to find out, they were in need of more than just fish food. They needed nitrates in the water, which wasn't happening with simple fish feeding.

Watch out with blanket statements, and careful singling out people.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a European, so my opinion does not match american standards amd that's ok, but what alleays catches my eye is the diversity of stuff you americans dose and then ask why something goes wrong.
Get back to the basics, nitrates around 5, po4 around 0.04.. Then balance alk, cal and mag, nothing else should go in your water. Ofcourse when that all is in balance you can look at the more secondary water parameters, in a very slow, overtime and patient way.
Still, with just this basic values, you can achieve good coral growth and colour.
Basic is boring! I must dose palladium IT HELPS MY COLOUR :confused::confused::confused:
No EUROPEAN can tell ME what to do! (jk jk I'm actually part polish)

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never state none of them do perform what they promise. I guess i am just feeling sorry for people new to the hobby and using stuff they don't need.

My "blanket statements" were supposed to be just my opinion. I do not try to bash Americans, i do feel sorry it is taken so. Take it more lightly please. I guess thats just little differences in communications;-)

Oh man, i would never tell an American what to do, even less a POLISH guy!! Vodka up!! ;-)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let a reefer from the middle east solve the differences between American and European Reefkeepers :)
Agree with the general statement that one can achieve great colors without dosing yet the opposite is also true.
I would think percentage wise European tanks get dosed much more than Americans do. After all KZ did originate in Europe ;)

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, dosing the basic stuff that is. Wich is good, i dose ATI essentials and it does work great. What i meant are the more supplemental things to either boost or take out certain elements. Often i feel like some products are short term solitions that can sometimes harm, other then solving the root of the problem.
I find it just interesting to see the differences in reefkeeping worldwide and have huge respect for the amount of equipment some of you use. Maybe one day i will have a huge tank and need all that too;-)

Good thing i don't speak any asian languages;-)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, dosing the basic stuff that is. Wich is good, i dose ATI essentials and it does work great. What i meant are the more supplemental things to either boost or take out certain elements. Often i feel like some products are short term solitions that can sometimes harm, other then solving the root of the problem.
I find it just interesting to see the differences in reefkeeping worldwide and have huge respect for the amount of equipment some of you use. Maybe one day i will have a huge tank and need all that too;-)

Good thing i don't speak any asian languages;-)
Did the Triton method originate from Germany?

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does. I've recently seen a long interview with it's owner, sorry it's in German. He basically started introducing it in America and now focusses more on Germany and Europe in general. I like the fact that i can use any product and still let my water be tested by them. Great guy too, he loves the hobby and his bussiness

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said it it easier introducing a new product in the States opposed to Europe becouse of the way people gain trust to something they don't know yet. That basically made me start to look at the differences in reefkeeping over the world.

Sorry btw to the OP for hijacking the post.
Have you found the problem yet?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if people would employ such testing as the triton water test that alone will give a good round about idea of surplus or lack of.
This thread title is the classic case of the question "why" and takes great understanding to find the answer.
Challenging saltwater can be

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed
The question "why is my coral doing this or that" can be beaten to death all day long

100% agree.
The main issue is that once a thing "seems" off everything gets tweaking.
Instead of a calculated deduction.

Dose this, dose that, up this compound, lower this parameter...etc....

Like stated before, there is great advice, but sometimes too much.

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, next to that we should never forget that every system is different, so many factors to take into the equasion.
Anyways, i've rambled enough on this post, i wish you and your SPS well;-) tissue can grow back!

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would circle back around to the water change since that marked the instant that things went downhill.

Something must have been wrong with the water. Was is made with 0TDS rodi water?

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a European, so my opinion does not match american standards amd that's ok, but what alleays catches my eye is the diversity of stuff you americans dose and then ask why something goes wrong.
Get back to the basics, nitrates around 5, po4 around 0.04.. Then balance alk, cal and mag, nothing else should go in your water. Ofcourse when that all is in balance you can look at the more secondary water parameters, in a very slow, overtime and patient way.
Still, with just this basic values, you can achieve good coral growth and colour.
Well you know us Americans. I dose my tank with cheeseburgers and my fish are obese :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back