Why is saltwater Better?

why-not-both-why-not.gif
I have both and will probably end up being just freshwater when I retire. Saltwater is just too expensive.

This is spot!

goldnugget1.jpg
 
Two things are true:

(1) both can be equally beautiful
(2) I hate water changes

I still haven't figured out a way to keep freshwater without water changes so I don't keep one, although I would love a African cichlid tank.
Side effect of planted tanks is it the plants will eventually drop the nitrates zero. So no water changes. I haven’t done one for six months.
 
I've had FW on and off (mostly on) and reefs (always have a reef) for decades. They're each their own thing. Each can be as challenging or as simple, cheap or expensive, rewarding or boring, as a person wants.

If anyone says one is better, that's fine but that's a comment more about the commenter than about the hobby itself.
 
I've had FW on and off (mostly on) and reefs (always have a reef) for decades. They're each their own thing. Each can be as challenging or as simple, cheap or expensive, rewarding or boring, as a person wants.

If anyone says one is better, that's fine but that's a comment more about the commenter than about the hobby itself.
I agree
 
I’ve kept aquariums for 20+ years and am all in on saltwater at the moment but keeping a high tech planted tank was more difficult for me than a mixed reef - never kept difficult sps though
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new