Why is there space under the first 2 chambers in an IM Fusion 10?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown gobie jumped over in to the return chamber on my IM 10. Every time I tried to catch he just went underneath the first two chambers. I finally drained the water down in the back chambers till his back was out of the water. This slowed him down enough I was able to block his retreat underneath the first two chambers.

Why the heck does that space exist? What purpose does it serve?

downloadking2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas blenny is in the back of my 30 gallon AIO I'm gonna try and get him out next week when I do my water change.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the heck does that space exist? What purpose does it serve?

Been thinking about getting one of these but you're right, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it to be there, rather than just extending the two baffles all the way to the bottom. And it creates a dead zone where there is no flow at all. I guess you could perhaps create a denitrification zone there.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the Nuvo 10 is the same as the Fusion 14, but the return chamber on it was L shaped. It had a dead space under the first two. I had a 1" Biota coral beauty make it thru the first two chambers and behind the return pump chamber, UNDER the first two.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the Nuvo 10 is the same as the Fusion 14, but the return chamber on it was L shaped. It had a dead space under the first two. I had a 1" Biota coral beauty make it thru the first two chambers and behind the return pump chamber, UNDER the first two.

That's exactly the situation I had to deal with. I drained the water down so low that he had to really work to move much and then scared him in to the return chamber with a flash light and tapping on the bottom of the first chamber. When he struggled in to the first chamber I got my hand down in there and blocked his retreat. Then was able to pick him up. He's happy and back to normal in the main tank.

Back