Why is this happening?

bmoore92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My welso keeps inflating like this but every other one I've seen is always retracted. Any suggestions? It's beautiful when retracted but pretty darn ugly inflated. Params are all in good range.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1420327323.326941.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to have to post up your water params, and lighting, flow, distance from light. Feeding, if any.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People touch it with something before the picture to get it to retract and concentrate the color. Vendors taking pics do this trick a lot. Not just with Brain corals. yours looks healthy. More light may make it retract a bit more.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People touch it with something before the picture to get it to retract and concentrate the color. Vendors taking pics do this trick a lot. Not just with Brain corals. yours looks healthy. More light may make it retract a bit more.

Agree, It looks fine. Over inflated is not what you have. This is over inflated which is normal when feeding. And coral resumes normal inflation within a day.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420472104.892871.jpg

The deflated look is not normal. Trachyphillia should look as though it has some air in it. Under inflated is when the flesh is pulled over in so much you can see the skeleton ridges. You may get a more intense coloring in deflated mode. But if your trachyphillia looks washed out in normal mode that is a different issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bmoore92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My picture was taken under strictly white leds but under actinic it does have the colored striations like the one in the picture above. Thanks everyone. Every one I've seen for sale has been deflated so I thought mine was the anomaly.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back