Why is this not proprietary?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With overflows being rather common in reef aquariums, why have manufacturers not developed some type of lifting bracket for the inside of the overflow? What has caused me to think of this is how many times you've had to rescue a critter that has found their way in? It's an absolute nightmare trying to catch a finned friend or other critter..
It would be great to just grab a handle and be able to raise the bottom of the overflow without trying to capture said friend with a net. Just a thought...

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think as a community, this is something we could change? With so many different manufacturers, and shapes of there overflows (I.e. How many holes, spacing, corner or standard).... any one with the ability to manufacture here's a great idea and I'll buy..

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! And allow you to also rescue snails and other critters. Obviously with plumbing it would not be able to be fully removable, but to be able to lift things into an easy and manageable height to capture/ recover any thing that may have made its way in.
It's so simple. Who else would be interested??

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Turbo Aquatics ATS rev 4. Similar concept.

Maybe I missed a picture on the site. But I'm not talking about an ATS system. I apologize if I'm not getting the connection, I jumped to their site quickly with card in hand, lol.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a piece of acrylic the shape of the bottom and a count for piping then just aneed attached stick to pull it up. Great idea. Wish I thought of it before setting up mine.
Everytime I have to save someone I think the same thing. But like I said, if it came proprietary with your drilled tank, as a safety measure for your inhabitants...
Sure you can add screen, or other DIY things, but some one always seems to get by.
I feel somewhat lucky as my overflow is smoked glass so I can somewhat see what I'm doing, getting stuck between pipes and scaring the fish. But with other non-transparent types of overflows I can imagine pulling out my hair..

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I have to save someone I think the same thing. But like I said, if it came proprietary with your drilled tank, as a safety measure for your inhabitants...
Sure you can add screen, or other DIY things, but some one always seems to get by.
I feel somewhat lucky as my overflow is smoked glass so I can somewhat see what I'm doing, getting stuck between pipes and scaring the fish. But with other non-transparent types of overflows I can imagine pulling out my hair..

Good idea! I've gone thru several catching fish adventures at my overflow, and believe me that with a coast to coast it's really challenging.
Next chance I'll probably get some plastic net and build a open box to place inside the overflow... it should be simple to implement and certainly I'll save lots of time fishing...
Thanks!

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case you need a silly diagram:

IMG_3055.JPG

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! I've gone thru several catching fish adventures at my overflow, and believe me that with a coast to coast it's really challenging.
Next chance I'll probably get some plastic net and build a open box to place inside the overflow... it should be simple to implement and certainly I'll save lots of time fishing...
Thanks!
Exactly! But it comes down to you " hopefully"building something that would work. And this always comes as an afterthought once you've done a couple rescues.
But as a community, is it possible that we could persuade manufacturing companies ( big and small) to include this type of system in their units?

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just rig a net across the overflow, lower than the bottom of the slots and higher than any plumbing?

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just rig a net across the overflow, lower than the bottom of the slots and higher than any plumbing?
Of course you can do this, but things build up on the netting, if you need to access any plumbing it would need to be deconstructed, netting can easily break, tear or harm a fish. I think it would have to be done in acrylic or something similar.
But the question and thought is why is there not some type of proprietary system with overflows for helping to save/retrieve any fish that make it into the chamber. It's a nightmare to catch any fish with the plumbing installed and gets worse the smaller the fish gets.
Also this is always an afterthought after your tank is built, plumbing all glued. If the system was built with the overflow there would be more precision with less chance of failure, in a sense.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some plastic needle point material cut it to the size you want fold it in half but don't crease it and slide it into your overflow leaving a little out so you can get ahold of it too pull it out. Best 52 cents I've ever spent

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed a picture on the site. But I'm not talking about an ATS system. I apologize if I'm not getting the connection, I jumped to their site quickly with card in hand, lol.

He built a removable inside compartment to clean the algae and led light cover easier. It has integrated drain he that fits into the ATS drain hole. Same concept as an overflow if you think about it.

b7f746b7561346cb413f44f2547391cb.jpg

62c62a6939fdfaced82586f67a34ec7c.jpg

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish is small enough, and you have easy access to overflow, you could always remove the drain pipe and let the fish drain out into the sump. Or if you want to clean the overflow bottom, same thing but use filter sock.

Jesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% I have a 6 line wrasse living in my overflow for months and impossible to catch

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back