Why no quality small (5-8 gal) AIOs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 169468
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Go old school and get a small tank that fits your footprint and use an undergravel filter for biological and a small HOB for mechanical, chemical and polishing. Could attach the riser to the HOB and use the HOB as the pump vs getting an air pump and air stone. That's what I did on my desk but it's 20H with a DIY undergravel plate. I don't change water due to the larger area under the plate for filtration which does both nitrification and denitrification plus I carbon dose when needed.

POC TANK VIEW.jpg
 
Have you seen these?

https://www.aquatop.com/aquarium-kits.html
5, 8, & 13 gallons.

Yes, but I couldn't find any data on the LEDs, and whether they would keep corals.

I ended up going for the Lifegard 3.8 and it's a nice tank. Another option I saw yesterday at my LFS (by local, I mean 2 hours away!) was a 7 gal AIO from Tideline (Planet Aquariums?). I might have tried that if I had seen it before, but have no info on it.
 
Yes, but I couldn't find any data on the LEDs, and whether they would keep corals.

I ended up going for the Lifegard 3.8 and it's a nice tank. Another option I saw yesterday at my LFS (by local, I mean 2 hours away!) was a 7 gal AIO from Tideline (Planet Aquariums?). I might have tried that if I had seen it before, but have no info on it.

I swapped the included LED for a Red Sea Reef LED 90. I purchased the 13.
 
6
I can probably guess the answers, but I'm interested in other people's thoughts anyway. I have been on the lookout for a small tank for my bedroom; something in the 5–8 gallon range. Aside from the Fluval Evo V (which is a weird size), the only other AIO that I can find in that size are the Lifegard tanks, or the UNS30A which doesn't seem widely available. Some of the bigger manufacturers used to sell smaller tanks (Waterbox used to have a 7g cube) but not anymore.

Maybe it was due to a lack of demand in previous years, but there does seem to be a sizeable interest in these small tanks now. Things are now hitting the market in the 0.3 gallon to 1 gallon sizes (and people are buying), so I think a 7 gallon AIO would sell like hot cakes.

Do you think there is a demand out there for these small tanks? Would you buy one?
Aqueon Makes a 5.5 gallon aquarium and if you would be interested I could make an all in one sump for one and send it to you? I could make it rimless and add the bulkhead and output nossle for a pump.
 
Those tanks are not for everyone. Put together a design for a simple, basic aio. No frills. No included base ort canopy. No lighting. No pump. No bio media. No wet dry. No day Glow accents and no shipping. Take away all those things and the price you see for our tanks gets really small really fast. Everyone talks about it. So go ahead and design one. We will build it. You don't have to buy it.
 
$450? lol.

I ended up with the Lifegard 3.8 for about $100 and it’s really nice. I might even get a second one!
Yeah, we can do that. But our customers want something a bit more refined. Like I said, we aren't for everyone. If this is the extent of what everyone wants, then OP should head down to petco and get one of these. But if you think you have a better design, share with us and we will protype it for you. Explain to me what is the downside of this offer.
 
043CC61E-0FE1-4895-AC68-6571F10CB512.jpeg

Do they still sell the 7-gallon LifeGuard Aquatics AIO slant-nose tanks?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new