Why not use tank water to dose kalk ?

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my title says can we use tank water to dose kalkwasser ? I ask because once we dose as concentrated as possible and 110% of top off water that is the limit to doseing with kalk , even with kalk reactors this is the limit. I’m not there yet . But one day I may . So why not pump aquarium display water through a doser and through a kalk reactor/ stirrer back into the aquarium. The doser can regulate the flow, Timing , and quantity.
yes I am well aware of everybody saying about only using fresh water .

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe, you need to dilute the kalk in fresh water due to the solubility limit.
And i also believe the kalk would cause precipitation in the dosing container with the use of salt water.
I could and probably am wrong without doing some research. Im sure the question has been answered before.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk, calcium and alk in bulk form are dry powders. While dry dosers exist they are really not practical for reef use. Much easier and more practical to mix the dry powder with freshwater first and use a parastolic doser to deliver as needed. You can dilute the mix as dense as you want to tune to your utilization which is one reason I'm opposed to buying liquid forms of them.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Kalk, calcium and alk in bulk form are dry powders. While dry dosers exist they are really not practical for reef use. Much easier and more practical to mix the dry powder with freshwater first and use a parastolic doser to deliver as needed. You can dilute the mix as dense as you want to tune to your utilization which is one reason I'm opposed to buying liquid forms of them.
Its actually a very good question. Been answering questions here for years and I don't think I've ever seen not one person ask that before.

It will dissolve in such a high concentration of calcium already. The local high concentration inside the unit will without a doubt precipitate the calcium out completely rendering the seawater almost useless. Different reactions happen in the sea water opposed to the fresh, and with the fresh you add it slowely to avoid that issue.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why not pump aquarium display water through a doser and through a kalk reactor/ stirrer back into the aquarium. The doser can regulate the flow, Timing , and quantity.

When you combine large amount of limewater to tank water, you get precipitation out from the tank water.
Which means you are losing ions out of the tank water, like Mg. So the plan would not only add kalk, it would strip Mg. And may create precipitation problems through the dosing lines. I think the creation of imbalances here would make it harder to manage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back