Wierd fuzz on live rock

stevemash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some clear/white fuzz growing on my live rock. It seems to only inhabit the top (towards the lights) portions I didn't think much of it. Doesn't seem to bother the corals. But when I have any micro bubbles they get trapped in it
IMG_2762.JPG

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you carbon dose by chance? if you do it maybe bacteria.... if it was on the underside i would have said its mulm. Both are ok unless they cover corals and in time will go away.

Syphoning it out would speed the process up.

OP
OP
stevemash

stevemash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphoning doesn't work....it's reeeeeeally on there. I used a tooth brush and it seemed to come off. The next day I realized it hadn't come off at all.
I don't carbon dose. I do you the Red Sea colors program though.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are snails / crabs eating it at all?
do you dose anything else?

OP
OP
stevemash

stevemash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don't. I put kalk in my ato last month to bring up my ph. And alk lols

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank?
usually cyano looks fuzzy with bubbles like that but cyano easily comes off with a little effort.
Really...anything that looks fuzzy (unless its a sponge) comes off fairly easy.

OP
OP
stevemash

stevemash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years lol. I have horrible maintenance though. I'm gone for work a lot. So I've got a 75 gallon tank holding 34 gallons of actual water volume haha

OP
OP
stevemash

stevemash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charles. My issue has since evolved into a full blown bryopsis/hair algae outbreak. I have flucon Otw and will follow up next week

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an update on the fuzz growth? I'm experiencing the same clear/white fuzz growth on two rocks that is not coming off. I've tried blowing it off and scrubbing with a tooth brush with no luck. The rock is roughly 8 years old and randomly came about.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the white fuzz is the beginning stage of coraline algae. I had white fuzz growth on my back wall that became coraline algae later.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the white fuzz is the beginning stage of coraline algae. I had white fuzz growth on my back wall that became coraline algae later.
I don't think so. I have never seen or heard of that occurring before. I wish that was the case as most of my rock work in one tank is covered in it and I wish it turned to coraline!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar white fuzz and based on photos I believe it’s hydroids. I use a toothbrush every few weeks, but haven’t found any permanent solution.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its bacteria that is stagnant. I assume you have very little to no water movement on lower tank area. Increase flow or direct downwards without stirring up the sandbed. Hydrogen peroxide and /or Vibrant liquid will break this up. You can also loosen with a firm toothbrush. Siphon what becomes loose.

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bacteria that is stagnant. I assume you have very little to no water movement on lower tank area. Increase flow or direct downwards without stirring up the sandbed. Hydrogen peroxide and /or Vibrant liquid will break this up. You can also loosen with a firm toothbrush. Siphon what becomes loose.
Have same issue, I have no sand bed. My tank is 1 year old. Have been fighting for 1 year. Its 125gallon. 10 year old rocks from previous tank. just finished full max treatment of dino x. seemed to get better but still see it on tops of rocks only under light (gen4pro). The side of the tank that i shut off lights has nothing. I know if i turn my other lights on it will return. you menchioned vibrant and/or peroxide as a treatment.
It is not easy to get off rocks!
What is it?
I think its a bacteria of some sort. any algae I have seen comes off rock fairly easy.
any information greatly appreciated.
I even bought a aqua 52 watt UV sterilizer which has helped but not cured.
I also dont think increasing flow will solve because it is growing in front of power head.
thanks .....completely baffled !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have same issue, I have no sand bed. My tank is 1 year old. Have been fighting for 1 year. Its 125gallon. 10 year old rocks from previous tank. just finished full max treatment of dino x. seemed to get better but still see it on tops of rocks only under light (gen4pro). The side of the tank that i shut off lights has nothing. I know if i turn my other lights on it will return. you menchioned vibrant and/or peroxide as a treatment.
It is not easy to get off rocks!
What is it?
I think its a bacteria of some sort. any algae I have seen comes off rock fairly easy.
any information greatly appreciated.
I even bought a aqua 52 watt UV sterilizer which has helped but not cured.
I also dont think increasing flow will solve because it is growing in front of power head.
thanks .....completely baffled !!
I had to turn off whites for almost a month- its like a soft brillo pad and I pulled some by hand periodically. It even has a wierd smell to it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back