Wife got me these.

Freddybnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife surprised me with a few frags from our "Not so local" shop. The receipt only shows what price range and not the name of the frags.
I'm not sure if there is somewhere I can look for myself and try to identify what they are or not. If so, could someone please inform me?
Here are the two I'm not sure of... I just want to be sure I have them placed correctly within flow, light, etc...
Thank you.

pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg

OP
OP
F

Freddybnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, and the Yellow ones are plays also? I will look up plays as far as light, flow, and food...
Thank you.

OP
OP
F

Freddybnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First looks like a plain brown paly. Second is also a paly, maybe a variation of captain jerk.
Sorry, still learning... so the paly different names are just for color or do they need different light, flow, etc.... in other words, can I research plays and then use that information for all plays? Hope that makes sense.. lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, still learning... so the paly different names are just for color or do they need different light, flow, etc.... in other words, can I research plays and then use that information for all plays? Hope that makes sense.. lol
Basically all the same. They tolerate a wide range of factors. Moderate to high flow and moderate to high light seems to work for mine. Names are all just for the thousands of color strains.
Also looking again I forgot captain jerks have a red skirt so probably not those.
May take a while before true colors really show, I have zoas that changed from black and red to maroon over time.

Keep them a bit removed from other corals, they grow like weeds.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second are captain Jerk palys. The names are mostly just descriptions (like a yellow and blue zoa could be talking about a pikachu or scrambled egg, I dont know) so you know the size, color, growth rate, and best lighting suggestions. For the most part, all zoas enjoy lighting between 75 and 150 par with low to medium flow. Your first ones look very light starved, I would start them low and as they color up, move them higher. For the most part, dark zoas enjoy lower lights and brightly colored ones need high lighting to retain the color.

OP
OP
F

Freddybnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... that one is at the top of my tank... He's actually yellow/orange.. that pic is terrible.. I wish I knew how to take better pics of stuff in my tank.. I'll see if I can get a better pic.. but Thank you.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife surprised me with a few frags from our "Not so local" shop. The receipt only shows what price range and not the name of the frags.
I'm not sure if there is somewhere I can look for myself and try to identify what they are or not. If so, could someone please inform me?
Here are the two I'm not sure of... I just want to be sure I have them placed correctly within flow, light, etc...
Thank you.

pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg
I think your wife is pretty awesome. I would love it if my wife got me corals.

IMO, get rid of the green ones above ASAP. Throw it out. It will grow really really fast, cover other corals and sometimes killing them. They are also hard to get rid of once they take hold on your rock.

I know. It took me over 6 months to get rid of this paly. Captain Jerk is an appropriate name for this Paly as it is really a jerk.

OP
OP
F

Freddybnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to stay married!!! LOL!
Is there another way? Maybe put him on an isolated rock? Or do they break off and float and then regrow?

BTW - Which color are you talking about the green or orange/yellow one?

Thx.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green. The one shown in my reply. Since your wife got them.... I understand.

I have Xenia in my tank and have to really control them. But my wife loves them and I like them too. They do take work to control.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. It took me over 6 months to get rid of this paly. Captain Jerk is an appropriate name for this Paly as it is really a jerk.
Haha, I noticed I accidentally typed captain jerk. I think it works better than captain jack though. I bought a trumpet frag with one or two captain jacks attached and now it’s pretty much a trumpet coral skeleton covered in palys. Big regret getting that particular frag.

OP
OP
F

Freddybnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed the expand button.. didn't see the pics... got it... So do you think moving a rock to isolation will help curb the growth? Thx

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back