Wild Sea Hare used for Research: Should I keep it?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To preface, I have a bit of a hair algae and cyano problem in my 20 gallon reef, but my nutrients are back to where they should be (0ppm ammonia and nitrates, 15ppm nitrates, less than 1ppm phosphates). I also attend a college which focuses heavily on marine science. A friend is doing research on bursatella leachii, the shaggy sea hare. He cannot release some of them due to the nature of his research, including a small one that might do well in my tank as far as size goes. Would it be safe and wise to keep one of these in my reef tank to get rid of algae? Could I take it to my LFS if the algae ran out or it got too big? This species does produce toxic purple ink, but it takes a lot to stress them enough to use it. He has only had one ink so far, and he handles dozens of them daily and even has to stretch and manipulate them for measurment purposes. He also had to put them through a rather complex quarantine process so the individuals are disease free. I've been told they are legally collected and my friend has been given the rights to dispose of them in any way he sees fit, including creating his own species tank for some of them. The friend also says he has observed them devouring cyanobacteria, sometimes over other food sources.

To be clear, I haven't decided to or agreed to take it yet. I want to know if anyone has experience with this species and if anyone has more information to add. If it's a stupid idea, I won't do it.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak from experience, but I have known a few people who have kept that species successfully. You will be surprised by how fast it mows down your algae! They can be fed with dried nori or even lettuce or broccoli once they clear out your algae.
Sea hares are one of my favorite CUC members. they've always been more like pets to me, especially once you start hand feeding them.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it's a separate but somewhat similar genus. But what is your experience with that variety?
Good! They dont live more than a year in captivity usually but are super good algae control! I feed mine nori too to supplement. I really like them, super cool little dudes!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them! Only live about a year in captivity. I feed mine nori to supplement, he does a great Job cleaning algae. This is mine, his name is Frank.

IMG_4222.png

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've kept them before. I would just give back to the lfa when ran out of food. Never seen them shoot ink.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only experience I have with sea hares is watching one swim by while I was surf fishing after a tropical storm had passed through. I was like, "what is THAT!".

I would totally go for it. Get 2. I would drive to Jacksonville to pick a couple up...

Pet rescue in my mind.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only experience I have with sea hares is watching one swim by while I was surf fishing after a tropical storm had passed through. I was like, "what is THAT!".

I would totally go for it. Get 2. I would drive to Jacksonville to pick a couple up...

Pet rescue in my mind.
Swam??? These usually climb rocks. Only time mine “swims” is when he falls off a rock or the tank wall lol I bet that was cool thouhh!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swam??? These usually climb rocks. Only time mine “swims” is when he falls off a rock or the tank wall lol I bet that was cool thouhh!
Storms tend to rile them up. It was about 8 inches long and did the floppy floppy stroke right in front of me when I was in waist deep water. I thought it was an alien.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storms tend to rile them up. It was about 8 inches long and did the floppy floppy stroke right in front of me when I was in waist deep water. I thought it was an alien.
Ahhh lol I did too when I first saw one at my LFS and realized it wasnt a rock! Still cool you saw one!

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what under 1ppm on phosphate is. As .90 phosphate would be considered high imo
Yeah I'd like a more accurate number too but that's all my LFS could give me when they gave me the results. I don't have my own phosphate kit and apparently theirs isn't ultra low range.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pet rescue in my mind.
That's pretty neat. Sounds like a giant sea hare. I see them swimming occasionally here, especially after storms like you said. They move kinda like squids.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive kept 3 Bursatella Leachii (Shaggy Sea Hare) specimens and they are great for algae and stay small, they only live about 6 - 8 months IME, just make sure you have guards on your powerheads cause they are quite gelatin-like, ive had them mate and lay eggs in my aquarium but no offspring unfortunately, also the ink thing is a not as big of a problem as people say it is, unless the animal gets tangled inside a propeller blade it isn't an issue.

they are also not the same as Dolabella auricularia (Dolabella Sea Hare)

picture of my shaggy sea hares from my old tank below

1706809367865.png

in this picture you can see the difference between the Shaggy Sea Hare (Left) and Dolabella (right)
1706809708539.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back