Will 2 165 mars aqua led support sps corals? And butterfly recommendation.

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering if mats aqua led will support sps coral. My tank is 100 gallons 48in long 18in wide and 26in tall. I plan on adding 2 of the 165 watt led and I have a us current marine orbit which I also plan to run with them. And my other question was can I have a longnose butterfly or zoster/pyramid butterfly in a 100 gallon and which is better in a reef? Any recommendations on these is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal anecdote, I could not get SPS to grow as fast under the regular black boxes compared to the other brands out there. The PAR was also poorly spread out and the coverage of PAR was uneven. A cheaper option that works decently would be SB Reef Lights as they have more even PAR coverage, though the spread isn't the greatest so you might need more lights than you'd originally think. Beyond that Radion and Kessil are both great in my experience, coming down more to personal taste. I am testing the Kessil AP700 as my latest light right now. :)

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 mars aqua over my 120 gallon tank. I'm getting pretty good growth with everything except for sps. I just got started in the sps game so I can't speak much for that. I've had my lights for 8-10 months no issues so far.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering if mats aqua led will support sps coral. My tank is 100 gallons 48in long 18in wide and 26in tall. I plan on adding 2 of the 165 watt led and I have a us current marine orbit which I also plan to run with them. And my other question was can I have a longnose butterfly or zoster/pyramid butterfly in a 100 gallon and which is better in a reef? Any recommendations on these is much appreciated. Thanks in advance
I would look into Sbreef lights or Evergrow 165w boxes for better options.
I would check out this thread in reference to your Mars Aqua question
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...-led-compare-notes-brstv-investigates.325626/
Unfortunately, though most assume that was a mars aqua tested, the LED layout doesn't match the mars aqua boxes. I should know, I own a MA.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 mars aqua over my 120 gallon tank. I'm getting pretty good growth with everything except for sps. I just got started in the sps game so I can't speak much for that. I've had my lights for 8-10 months no issues so far.
Flow is the biggest thing with SPS. I put 240 PAR with my black box and acros didnt take off till flow was corrected.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyramid likes to munch on xenias. I had heard that they might do so, and this is fine with me since they grow like weeds and I just have to remove them manually from time to time anyway. Otherwise it's been a perfect reef resident, leaving all the other (healthy) corals alone, eating well, and not getting into disputes with other fish. It did bother an Elegance that was in fairly fast decline with ECS, picking at its mucus and so on, but that coral was on its way out regardless.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyramid likes to munch on xenias. I had heard that they might do so, and this is fine with me since they grow like weeds and I just have to remove them manually from time to time anyway. Otherwise it's been a perfect reef resident, leaving all the other (healthy) corals alone, eating well, and not getting into disputes with other fish. It did bother an Elegance that was in fairly fast decline with ECS, picking at its mucus and so on, but that coral was on its way out regardless.
?

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replays I guess I will look into I will look into SN reef lights and ever grow. The kessils are pretty expensive but I have learned you don't want to cheap put in this hobby. I will look into them both for now I guess no mars aqua. As for the butterfly i think the zoster/pyramid is the winner so far. I will keep researching in the longnose also. Thanks again

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and for flow I plan to run a gyre 250 and perhaps some sun suns for surface agitation or any spots I feel need more flow.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into Sbreef lights or Evergrow 165w boxes for better options.

Unfortunately, though most assume that was a mars aqua tested, the LED layout doesn't match the mars aqua boxes. I should know, I own a MA.
I linked it more for the video and the info on it, the black boxes are all pretty similar in their design and par output. It boils down to the fact that these lights can support sps corals but they have their downsides as well as with any light:)

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I also heard they grow all corals but it seems the effectiveness of growing them is minimal compared to other lights is at least what I gathered. Thanks again

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Mars Aqua 31" fixtures (300 watts?) on my 6' 125G - we grew montipora like mad and acropora in the top portions of the tank, but I've never been happy with the color spectrum from them.

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I guess they can grow sps well but it seems that I would need a lot more wattage around the 600 range. Thanks for the help I am still going back and forth between the Sb reef lights and mars aqua.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I guess they can grow sps well but it seems that I would need a lot more wattage around the 600 range. Thanks for the help I am still going back and forth between the Sb reef lights and mars aqua.
I would go SBreef all day if that's what I was deciding between.

OP
OP
ccbobafett

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess sb it is also heard they will grow sps better then mars aqua. For a 4ft long tank which fixture should I choose the the 2 165 watt or the larger 365 watt? Thanks

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.6%
Back