Will a bacterial bloom kill my fish and coral?

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I just moved my tank from Ohio to South Carolina this past week and it went pretty well. Yesterday my water got really cloudy very similar to when I was cycling my tank so I am assuming a bacterial bloom. My skimmer also broke so that is probably contributing to the build up of nutrients. Will the bloom kill my fish or coral? I put a air stone in the tank to make sure the water was still getting oxygenated. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trying to fix my skimmer? For the last week it would come on and off intermittently while plugged in. Now when I plug it in nothing happens. Any ideas?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacterial blooms are typically harmless as long as the water is still oxygenated. Keep an eye on the fish- if they start hovering around the surface, they're having trouble getting enough oxygen.

You might try contacting the skimmer manufacturer and asking them for troubleshooting advice.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I just moved my tank from Ohio to South Carolina this past week and it went pretty well. Yesterday my water got really cloudy very similar to when I was cycling my tank so I am assuming a bacterial bloom. My skimmer also broke so that is probably contributing to the build up of nutrients. Will the bloom kill my fish or coral? I put an air stone in the tank to make sure the water was still getting oxygenated. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trying to fix my skimmer? For the last week it would come on and off intermittently while plugged in. Now when I plug it in nothing happens. Any ideas?
Has the pump been cleaned properly? Taken apart and really scrubbed.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would makes sure that the impeller is good and clean usually some scaling on them rubber tips and also in the receiving hole end of the pump before I tossed it in the trash pile. What brand skimmer and pump is it?

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would makes sure that the impeller is good and clean usually some scaling on them rubber tips and also in the receiving hole end of the pump before I tossed it in the trash pile. What brand skimmer and pump is it?
The pump is a Maxi-Jet 1200 and the skimmer is Aquarium Systems

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new on Amazon for 30$ for that pump. I don’t see it being a Venturi pump tho

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what u have?

Attachments

• E5B70D5C-D5B8-453B-BC68-88B664FF1388.png
    E5B70D5C-D5B8-453B-BC68-88B664FF1388.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 35

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$30 new pump. Or do regular water changes toss it and save for a better hob skimmer. How stocked is your tank you might not even need it

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super stocked but i was getting a big algae bloom so i started using it. I just got more snails which I only had 2 and they were burrowers so that should help keep the algae down now and maybe i won't need it!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super stocked but i was getting a big algae bloom so i started using it. I just got more snails which I only had 2 and they were burrowers so that should help keep the algae down now and maybe i won't need it!
When you do upgrade. Look into the aquamaxx hang on backs. You could get a decent one for around $100 which is what that one goes for new.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back