Will a mushroom sting zoas?

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2709.JPG
IMG_2679.JPG
I have some what I think are zoas that don't seem to want to open. Is it possible the mushroom is causing an issue? If so how do I move it safely.

My parameters are good. Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5ppm salt 1.24 78 degrees.

IMG_2698.JPG

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look more like Palys that Zoas. The mushroom shouldn't be causing them not to open. They will compete for real estate but shouldn't bother each other.

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas and palys are funny, I've had very rare zoas that did amazing for a very long time then closed up for unknown reasons. I would move the mushroom from there. I try to isolate all mushrooms from any other coral.

OP
OP
AC0DX

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas and palys are funny, I've had very rare zoas that did amazing for a very long time then closed up for unknown reasons. I would move the mushroom from there. I try to isolate all mushrooms from any other coral.
How do I do that?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are indeed Palythoa you should place them on their own rock and isolate that so they don't invade the whole system.
Your aquarium is young and to me seems like the problem there is either too much light or water quality (new system).
Check your params and make sure the light isn't too strong.
If params are ok and light not too strong just give them some time to addapt.
Grandis.

OP
OP
AC0DX

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are indeed Palythoa you should place them on their own rock and isolate that so they don't invade the whole system.
Your aquarium is young and to me seems like the problem there is either too much light or water quality (new system).
Check your params and make sure the light isn't too strong.
If params are ok and light not too strong just give them some time to addapt.
Grandis.
My water is good, I check it often. How do I check the light short of meter?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running carbon won't hurt. I'm a way they might keep eachother in check. If anything, remove the mushroom and relocate it. Those palys and the discoma can take over an area quickly.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that brown "stuff" rub off of the stalks of the palys when you brush it with your fingers? Also to me the extended stalk and mushroom shape tell me not enough light.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that brown "stuff" rub off of the stalks of the palys when you brush it with your fingers? Also to me the extended stalk and mushroom shape tell me not enough light.
Seems like they were under very low light and now they've got too much light.
Grandis.

OP
OP
AC0DX

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the mushroom off the rock and then put the rock lower in the tank. I will give it a few days and see where I am at.

OP
OP
AC0DX

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they were under very low light and now they've got too much light.
Grandis.
When I bought the rock they where under a dim blue light. I honestly did not pay much attention to them because I was looking at the mushroom. I should have known to pay better attention. Rookie mistake that I won’t repeat. I won’t be buying from this lfs in the future because of some other poor advise and lack of information. I have a better lfs closer that I trust more. But for now I need to figure out what to do to make everything on the rock happy. So I removed the mushroom and set the rock lower in the tank. We will see.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought the rock they where under a dim blue light. I honestly did not pay much attention to them because I was looking at the mushroom. I should have known to pay better attention. Rookie mistake that I won’t repeat. I won’t be buying from this lfs in the future because of some other poor advise and lack of information. I have a better lfs closer that I trust more. But for now I need to figure out what to do to make everything on the rock happy. So I removed the mushroom and set the rock lower in the tank. We will see.
Good... they will take a while to look very nice and open, but in a day or 2 they will show off better.
Try to minimize the hours a day to proper aclimate them to the new light.
I don't think the mushroom had nothing to do with all that...
Not to worry. They will try to take over your rocks as your system matures.
Grandis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back