Will a rise in Alk cause hammer to die? And AFR dosing question.

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from work and noticed that my hammer, which is an OG from starting my tank in December 2022, is showing skeleton (see picture). It was a happy guy all week. I did lose another hammer on 6/10/23 (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-happening-to-my-hammer.990379/) and was recommended to increase my magnesium (which I have done). Could whatever is happening to this hammer be due to the rise in Alk? There isn't anything slimy on the base of the skeleton. I would think that if the volume of exposed skeleton continues to increase, I'll just need to remove the hammer.

IMG-5248.jpg

I checked my parameters:
1688085183614.png

The rise in Alk is from dosing AFR. I've been doing 10 mL/day (my tank is 52 gallons including sump) which adds 0.56 dKH. Looks like my Alk goes up by 0.4 dKH every 3-4 days with this dosing. So total dosing over 3 days is 1.68 dKH from AFR and the dKH still rises by 0.4 dKH so my tank appears to be using 1.28 dKH over 3 days (1.68 dKH - 0.4 dKH extra = 1.28 dKH) which equates to about 0.43 dKH daily (1.28 dKH / 3 days). Therefore, my maintenance dose should be around 7.6 mL/day (0.43 dKH / 0.56 dKH then multiply by 10 mL).

Is my math and thought process correct on this?

Thanks for looking.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think alkalinity rising to be the issue, especially since you lost one before the rise my. A rise of 1.5 over two weeks is nothing to really sweat. Hammers are relatively hardy in that regard.

I would think more likely a bacterial infection. Euphyllia is susceptible to infection and can spread to others. Probably from the last one you lost

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your alk stop rising cut back on dosing. Id test and I’d cut your dose by 1/3 and test Alk the next day at the same time. If it’s still rising, cut your original dose in half and test at the same time the following day. If it drops, add a couple ml and if it stays the same you got it. Just have to test daily during tweaking

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afr can sneak up on you because it takes a few days to show with alk. Once you prg in the dosage its the best thing since sliced bread.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a dip in Revive and one of the three heads immediately released. I put it back in. Will see how it does overnight.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that phosphate up man!

Got any Neophos? Dose it daily and get it up to a minimum of .04 at the least.

Also the ALK is good imho. Most will shoot for 9dkh so I can't see that an issue. Calcium is a bit low but seriously get that phosphate up.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from work and noticed that my hammer, which is an OG from starting my tank in December 2022, is showing skeleton (see picture). It was a happy guy all week. I did lose another hammer on 6/10/23 (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-happening-to-my-hammer.990379/) and was recommended to increase my magnesium (which I have done). Could whatever is happening to this hammer be due to the rise in Alk? There isn't anything slimy on the base of the skeleton. I would think that if the volume of exposed skeleton continues to increase, I'll just need to remove the hammer.

IMG-5248.jpg

I checked my parameters:
1688085183614.png

The rise in Alk is from dosing AFR. I've been doing 10 mL/day (my tank is 52 gallons including sump) which adds 0.56 dKH. Looks like my Alk goes up by 0.4 dKH every 3-4 days with this dosing. So total dosing over 3 days is 1.68 dKH from AFR and the dKH still rises by 0.4 dKH so my tank appears to be using 1.28 dKH over 3 days (1.68 dKH - 0.4 dKH extra = 1.28 dKH) which equates to about 0.43 dKH daily (1.28 dKH / 3 days). Therefore, my maintenance dose should be around 7.6 mL/day (0.43 dKH / 0.56 dKH then multiply by 10 mL).

Is my math and thought process correct on this?

Thanks for looking.
Your problem has nothing to do with your water chemistry shown - it is all fine.

It's more likely to be lighting or flow changes - which can take months to manifest.

I would increase Ca as if accurate it is a little low - but that is unrelated to the problem you have.

I find Euphillia to be very tricky and difficult to keep happy - and also subject to random retraction.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that phosphate up man!

Got any Neophos? Dose it daily and get it up to a minimum of .04 at the least.

Also the ALK is good imho. Most will shoot for 9dkh so I can't see that an issue. Calcium is a bit low but seriously get that phosphate up.
I do dose with Neophos 4.5 mL daily. Usually it’s around 0.04 so don’t know why it’s 0.01 today.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your problem has nothing to do with your water chemistry shown - it is all fine.

It's more likely to be lighting or flow changes - which can take months to manifest.

I would increase Ca as if accurate it is a little low - but that is unrelated to the problem you have.

I find Euphillia to be very tricky and difficult to keep happy - and also subject to random retraction.
I was hoping that AFR would bring the Ca up too. I dose Mg daily too.

Thanks for reply.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose with Neophos 4.5 mL daily. Usually it’s around 0.04 so don’t know why it’s 0.01 today.
Yeah good question, I was dealing with the same issues. Phosphorus zeroed out and sticks were not happy along with my softies. I've traded off on Neophos for TM plus-np but I'm just at the start of the dosing and really can't comment right now. From my understanding it'll basically feed the corals without and issues.

My system used to run around 15 nitrates and phosphate at .02-.07 and for some reason the nitrate flipped down to 4 and po4 hit rock bottom. I really don't understand why but I've been adding microbactor7 and now the TM plus-np. Neophos just didn't keep up and hoping the TM stuff will hold its own. I know time isn't on your side and I'd love to share more but it's to new ATM and won't have any feasible data for a couple days :/

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back