Will a Sponge/Pad Reduce Loud Vibrating Skimmer Noise?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jayteerq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jayteerq

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2024
Messages
841
Reaction score
425
Location
Worcester, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've tried moving my skimmer around but it just vibrates and makes a long humming sound. Otherwise, my aquarium is pretty quiet so i'd like to fix this if possible!
I noticed if I press down on my skimmer cap, the vibrating noise goes away. Does anyone put a sponge or some sort of pad underneath their skimmer to dampen the noise? Any recommendations for something I can buy off amazon would be a blessing! Thanks!
 
Short answer...yes.
I assume skimmer is in sump.
Try a rubber/neoprene mouse pad (no printing etc).....cheapest way I know to cut down on vibrations....
$3~$4 at Target

It could just be your cap also....just put a small weight/rock on it....
 
Short answer...yes.
I assume skimmer is in sump.
Try a rubber/neoprene mouse pad (no printing etc).....cheapest way I know to cut down on vibrations....
$3~$4 at Target
Awesome ill try that out thank you! Im assuming that material will be okay in salt water?
 
I use silicone hot pads ( can be found on aMazon) under my skimmer.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new