Will algae fix hurt my tank? Idk what to do anymore

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing the battle to GHA...
I feed once a day (most of the time its frozen)
My light schedule is from 12pm-10pm (from 12-3 its a super week fluval light that ranks up until the main light turns on3pm-10 pm)
I dose nopox 9ml every day
I have a small refugium that is on for about 12 hours
My tank is 140g

Livestock List
Coral/Nems:
Soft/LPS corals
15 RFA

Fish (12):
Hippo tank 5-6 inch
Tomini tang 3 inch
Midas blenny 3-4 inch
starry blenny 1-2 inch
hawk fish 2-3 inch
Melanarus wrasse 4-5 inch
Engineer goby 6-7 inch
Swissguard basslet 2-3 inch
Orchid dotty back 1-2 inch
Flame angel 3-4 inch
clown fish pair 3-4 inch

Am I overstocked? what am I doing wrong? Should I resort to algeafix? Is it safe to use with coral/RHA?
I've been doing water changes where I manually remove a bunch of algae and siphon it out but it just returns.
I will say before I was only dosing about 3 ml of nopox so maybe when I manually removed the algae an influx of nutrients was releseased and therefore made it easy for it to regrow. Should try another deep manually removal and increase my nopox to like 12 mL to eliminate any released nutrients or Algaefix?

Any advise would be helpful
Thanks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your Source water to make sure you're not dumping in a bunch of "Dirty" water? I know when I had my algae issues my TDS had claimed well into the 40's before I noticed it. Also how old is the tank? Is it going through the Uglies right now?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so maybe when I manually removed the algae an influx of nutrients was releseased
I'm not sure how this would be the issue -- once you remove the algae, you've exported all those nutrients.

OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures of your tank? Parameters? CUC? I would try and manually remove as much as I could before dosing anything
i don’t have a pic at the moment.
a bunch a blue leg hermits/asters snails
Parameters:
phosphate: .3
Nitrate: 30
everything else is good

OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your Source water to make sure you're not dumping in a bunch of "Dirty" water? I know when I had my algae issues my TDS had claimed well into the 40's before I noticed it. Also how old is the tank? Is it going through the Uglies right now?
i do have to check that. My tank is about 4-5 years old. It’s actually growing some coraline algae. It’s important to know my tanks used to be a FWOWLR tank and i’ve transitioned it to soft/lps since november 23

OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it also be that 0.3 is a fake result. What I mean is that there is so much algae and I still get 0.3 on an aqua-spin test. Could it be that my phosphate is actually higher but what is left over is what the test is reading?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea 0.3... Really is that actually considered high? I thought past 0.3 was OKAY. 0.1 scares me because it don't to bottom out my nutrients enough to get DINOS
0.3 is not high for soft corals and most LPS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it also be that 0.3 is a fake result. What I mean is that there is so much algae and I still get 0.3 on an aqua-spin test. Could it be that my phosphate is actually higher but what is left over is what the test is reading?
Very possible

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've battled GHA back to back. Just when it all cleared up. It comes back when I'm not looking. I cutback on feedings. So now I drop a bit in and wait until they ate it all before adding anymore. Make sure nothing truely sinks to the ground.

But the biggest thing is CUCs. Man just throwing a few big turbos will destroy that GHA. But remember, you need to manually pull the long stuff. If it can be easily pulled out by hand/tongs. Do it!

CUCs in my 15G tank

1 turbo
1 urchin
3 trochus
4 nassairus snails
4 hermit crabs

Swbvegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? Usually GHA is lack of water changes or not large enough changes, too much light, over feeding, inefficient waste removal.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back