Will dosing Phophate RX to help with GHA hurt my macros?

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHA issue, not huge but annoying. I am thinking about using some Phosphate RX until I can get my phosphates down naturally.

My question is that I have some Red Grape Microalgae (Botryocladia) and some Red Bush Algae (Gracilaria hayi) in my DT as well. Will dosing with phosphate RX kill these too?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it will directly kill them but stripping the nutrients out as fast as the RX does can upset you corals as well as macro.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check your phos level, get a lot of good grazers. GHA can outcompete most other algaes and corals even in the low nutrient spectrum so you dont want to kill of everything else going zero nutrients.

OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I have a fluval spec v 5 Gallon.

My CUC consists of a turbo, 2 Hermits (one blue one velvet), 2 nassarius and a goby.

Would you suggest adding anything else?

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did phsophate rx at full strength when p04 >1.0 then did a 1/2 or 1/4 dose to prevent a fast drop in p04. It works by physically removing p04 and is not like antibiotics or algaecides that specifically target and kill algae.

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is you tank? depending on size that looks like not enough. If you physically remove the algae that is waving around it gives the CUC a chance to actually eat. If it is too long the crew is not able to eat it. I got a lawnmover blenny and now I am moving overgrown rock in my sump to the display temporarily to be eaten before I send it back to the refugium. I am doing this so my chaeto is not competing with nuisance algae.

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thats hard to keep, weekly water changes and physical removal would be you best bet. Since the tank is so small be causeful because too much a water change can cause a cycle to occur. A gallon a week would be healpful.

OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on trying to physically remove as much as possible on my next water change. I do weekly WC's of about 20-25%. Are you thinking that is too much?

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking 1 gallon would be good start which is 20%. The main thing I worry about in large h20 changes is a spike in amonia d/t the bacteria being removed and unable to break it down fast enough. oh I just read they don't recomended p04 rx in tanks less than 10 gallons

OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that solves that question! Looks like I will just stick to removing as much as I can physically and switch out my chemi-pure elite with a Chemi Pure Blue nano pack.

If you were me, would you add any additional CUC?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree not only not using it because n a tank your size but wouldn't recommend it used on a tank without a sump that you can put 10 micron socks in for a few hours after dosing.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking 1 gallon would be good start which is 20%. The main thing I worry about in large h20 changes is a spike in amonia d/t the bacteria being removed and unable to break it down fast enough. oh I just read they don't recomended p04 rx in tanks less than 10 gallons

I do 100% water changes every week on mine. The bacteria are not in the water column but the rocks in and sand.

OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 100% water changes every week on mine. The bacteria are not in the water column but the rocks in and sand.

That's what I was led to believe so I was a bit confused on the water change statement. I do however stir the sand with a turkey baster when doing my WC's.

Would you add any additional CUC or do you think what I have is okay?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would add a few more snails. I have several hundred dwarf and Florida cerith snails in my 240 as they stay small and are work horses. I've found the best price on them from reef cleaners.org. Here is a good chart on snails.
5381CB9C-1583-4FED-B3A8-385E3E5289E7.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back