Will dying/white chaeto come back?

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all!

I put together a chaeto reactor made up of a phosban 150 and red/blue lights, a small ball grew quickly enough to take up the entire reactor but when I tossed most of it to start over, dummy me thought i turned the pump back on...I didn't.

This is my first time using the stuff so i guess the question is, will it come back or once its white its dead and done for?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all!

I put together a chaeto reactor made up of a phosban 150 and red/blue lights, a small ball grew quickly enough to take up the entire reactor but when I tossed most of it to start over, dummy me thought i turned the pump back on...I didn't.

This is my first time using the stuff so i guess the question is, will it come back or once its white its dead and done for?

Without C02 algae can't survive but depending on how long it was sitting. Perhaps their was enough oxygen in the reactor to hold it for awhile? If there is any green areas cut them out and see if they grow in a day or so.

JonCollegeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set my reactor up my first batch of Algae barn chaeto turned white and mushy, I think from too much light. The only green and living portion was along the center on the reactor. Tried to salvage it but the stuff was a mess so I scrapped it, when to the LFS and bought some that was under kessils and it's been growing well. If it happens to me again I'll probably toss it and restart once more.

OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I figured that once it turned white it was done for since it's all white now. Too bad though, I just tossed a ton!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back