Will I ever need stand alone dosers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why I would need to buy a Stand Alone Doser or can all the ones I buy for my system be slaves?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why I would need to buy a Stand Alone Doser or can all the ones I buy for my system be slaves?

Stand Alones are great if you don't have the Profilux. You can still get testing equipment like the KH Director and ION Director when it becomes available and run them without there main Controller setup. This gives flexibility similar to other testing equipment. Also, separate SA Dosers give the user an advantage of keeping things separated In there system. If one SA or your controller goes down for whatever reason I believe the other dosers they are tied to will shut down as well. And by shut down I don't mean die, just stop running the program you have. I'm not 100% sure on that one but it makes sense... I'll let @Ditto @Kyl Confirm that one. So separating them, while a minor pain programming wise, could keep one shutting down or having errors from preventing the others from doing what they need to do to keep your system going. Once again, just a theory of mine as I've never had multiple dosers or the slaves to confirm it...

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand Alones are great if you don't have the Profilux. You can still get testing equipment like the KH Director and ION Director when it becomes available and run them without there main Controller setup. This gives flexibility similar to other testing equipment. Also, separate SA Dosers give the user an advantage of keeping things separated In there system. If one SA or your controller goes down for whatever reason I believe the other dosers they are tied to will shut down as well. And by shut down I don't mean die, just stop running the program you have. I'm not 100% sure on that one but it makes sense... I'll let @Ditto Confirm that one. So separating them, while a minor pain programming wise, could keep one shutting down or having errors from preventing the others from doing what they need to do to keep your system going. Once again, just a theory of mine as I've never had multiple dosers or the slaves to confirm it...

I do have the Profilux controller, so I'm just going to stick with buying the slaves for now. Thanks for all of the info. Super helpful. Also, on a random note, where can I buy the accessories for GHL without having to buy directly from them? Doesn't look like Marine Depot carries any spare parts, reagents, etc.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With stand alone you can update doser firmware with USB without having to unplug all other pab devices during update.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With stand alone you can update doser firmware with USB without having to unplug all other pab devices during update.

Good tip. Although, I think that the $50 savings I get from the slave doser, it's worth unplugging all devices during an update. Those $50 start to add up. lol

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both setups, if you believe you were going to use 16 dosing heads then stand alone would been required.

The next firmware upgrade is updating the firmware via connect app. And the addition of 16 more dosing heads raising it to 32.

I have one ATO fully stand alone, and even a KH stand alone using them in the app is no issues just click on them and look within the app very simple.

It is easier right now to update stand alone dosers, but the new firmware is right around the corner :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back