Will I need to cure live rock from the store to go in to my display tank.

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my local fish store has plenty of live rock there and I was wondering if I buy that live rock and I bring it home in a bucket or a styrofoam container with no water and then add it to my display will it be fine. Or do I need to bring it home in water and then cure it or just add it to the tank.

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some bacteria will die depending how long the drive to your home is but if the rock is truly cycled it can go immediately in your tank. If you can bring it in some tank water that would be best.
just be aware of the extra critters you may be bringing in with the live rock.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some bacteria will die depending how long the drive to your home is but if the rock is truly cycled it can go immediately in your tank. If you can bring it in some tank water that would be best.
just be aware of the extra critters you may be bringing in with the live rock.
Like nusice algae or crabs or snails and things.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my local fish store has plenty of live rock there and I was wondering if I buy that live rock and I bring it home in a bucket or a styrofoam container with no water and then add it to my display will it be fine. Or do I need to bring it home in water and then cure it or just add it to the tank.
BtW my tank is already established

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no my tank is already established
I‘d go with dry rock if it’s available, it should be cheaper than live rock. But it takes a few months before it starts to match the color of your established rock

it should be ok either way. There’s a slight chance you could introduce a new pest, but I think live rock outweighs the risk of pests.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae, crabs, aiptasia, mantis shrimp, asternia stars, flatworms, bristleworms etc etc. Whatever is in their system will be in your tank. Tbh, I'd rather get REAL live ocean rock than LFS "live rock", if you can. You'll be paying around the same for practically none of the benefits. If that isn't an option, I think base dry rock is a better option. Its cheaper, no risk of LFS ailments, plus your tank is already established so it should populate quickly.

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes which depending you may just be ok with it. Dry rock thats been outside also has its issues if it was once in a tank. If you use dry rock organic matter will begin to decay as the rock is cycling and that makes the cycling process longer aswell as phosphates being an issue for a bit, then the ugly algae growth.
If you dont mind the critters which you may or may not get with live rock it definitely shortens the process.
When I started a tank I used dry rock and had it cured in a bleach solution, rinsed, dried and re rinsed over and over until the bleach smell was gone.
Then I cycled my rock in a separate container before adding it to my tank.
Its a long process but I was 100% sure there were no unwanted critters, cycling was quick, and never dealt with the ugly algae phase.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae, crabs, aiptasia, mantis shrimp, asternia stars, flatworms, bristleworms etc etc. Whatever is in their system will be in your tank. Tbh, I'd rather get REAL live ocean rock than LFS "live rock", if you can. You'll be paying around the same for practically none of the benefits. If that isn't an option, I think base dry rock is a better option. Its cheaper, no risk of LFS ailments, plus your tank is already established so it should populate quickly.

I feel the same. Since you already have an established reef I don't think there is a reason to waste money on live rock. Especially with the risk of introducing pests. The dry rock you place in the tank will become just as populated with beneficial bacteria in a matter of weeks.

I also don't buy dry rock and just chuck it in the tank either. There is no telling how much dead organic matter is stored on that rock. Plus any nuisance algae that may be laying dormant. I may be overly cautions but I always let any new dry rock sit in a bucket of bleach for a week and then dry for a week and rinse with a dechlorinating additive like Prime.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a short trip home, just put in some wet paper and should be fine to add directly to tank.

But....
Make sure you trust the store. Hitchhikers are always a possibility. Are you doing this for biodiversity? I have a mature tank that I am waiting for some live rock to ship. I want the biodiversity. It will go in a qt for at least 3 months though. Mainly to prevent parasites from current livestock and so I can get unwanted hitchhikers to a better place.

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Critters. Lots of critters. Some bad (subjectively) and some good. Probably a little die-off but if your tank is good and established it shouldn’t be anything it couldn’t handle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back