Will klir filter work in trigger system sump?

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Asking because it is my understanding that it needs to sit in 1inch of water. Not sure if that will happen given my trigger overflows even with the top of my filter sock and the edge of the overflow into my first chamber looks less than an inch high

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your sock tray has to have some kind of lip to make the water flow through the socks and not right over them
Send me a pic
I can show you my sump
I have a small lip behind my sock tray

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the trigger 34 and my research has pointed to the klir filter does not work. hope this thread proves me wrong

OP
OP
authentic

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pic
5995d7b8854c7abfdcab978bab917b52.jpg
2e14c833e1c2b1f3821464b5e095dff1.jpg

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If thats the only lip it has, i think it may require a little more. You could always glue a baffle to that edge.

If the socks overflow the water goes over that small lip into next chamber??

Klir works by water backing up behind it and as fleece gets dirty, less flow and more backed up water until it reaches the eye and advances a small amount. Then water drops back to about 1/2” or so above the sock plate.

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking because it is my understanding that it needs to sit in 1inch of water. Not sure if that will happen given my trigger overflows even with the top of my filter sock and the edge of the overflow into my first chamber looks less than an inch high
Cut the sock off.keep the plastic lip and put a household plastic cub in it with a lot of holes in the bottom half and put media in it and simply pull the cup out every few days or once a week and change and put back.works awesome and so much less b.s

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to pass on the KLIR for my new build due the issues with the sensor and other issues posted in the reviews. Not to mention Coral Vue's support is terrible in my experience.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like 1.25” is where water hits the sensor
Maybe you can create a temp baffle 1.4” high to see if it will work
You can Pm me if you want me to send you photo of how mine looks
I think your in S Fla also

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to pass on the KLIR for my new build due the issues with the sensor and other issues posted in the reviews. Not to mention Coral Vue's support is terrible in my experience.

I haven't had any significant issues with my KLIR besides getting it to fit in my sump and I believe I got the first one sold in my state. I also haven't had any issues with CoralVue support the few times I have had to use it. There have been some mid-production updates to the unit and when I called to ask about them they sent me the revised parts and updated controller no charge and no questions asked.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any significant issues with my KLIR besides getting it to fit in my sump and I believe I got the first one sold in my state. I also haven't had any issues with CoralVue support the few times I have had to use it. There have been some mid-production updates to the unit and when I called to ask about them they sent me the revised parts and updated controller no charge and no questions asked.
That is good to hear.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the trigger 34 and my research has pointed to the klir filter does not work. hope this thread proves me wrong

I have a trigger 34 also and I think the Klir Di-4 should work. I'm planning on putting 2 in mine. Carlos at CoralVue sent me the dimension and here are some pics of my filter sock plate and what ti looks like with the plate removed.

klirdi4_dimensions.jpg

Filter Sock Plate.jpg

sump 2.jpg

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is not the sock holder/bracket so much as the top of the sump. These will not fit through the hole in the top, not even close. I found a youtube video from someone who tried and ended up cutting the sump to make it fit and even then only had room for 1 unit.

Have a look here:

I have the Trigger Systems Emerald 34 - I like the overall look of the sump and everything except the sock chamber is great. But with the sump under the tank it is an absolute pain to change the socks, especially with the skimmer directly in front of it. The poor design of this section is what makes me want a rollermat filter, but the same design flaw prevents me from incorporating one.

Last edited:

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates to this thread? i have a trigger sapphire 34 and was looking to put two klir di-4 's in the sock chamber. what needs to be modified to do so?

I haven’t ordered mine yet to see if it fits. My goal is to add 2 of them if possible. I think it’ll work with my emerald 34. If I ever get around to it I’ll post it up.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the only Trigger sumps that can be modified for 2 Klirs are the blue or purple trigger 39's. Have to take out the sock tray and get a piece of plexiglass and make your own holes.

A guy did it in the thread, "what do you think about the Klir filter

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back