Will lowering phosphates to choke hair algae harm coral?

FishNerdVlogsYT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a nano reef that has some hair algae; it’s not super out of control because I’ve been doing manual removal and have a tuxedo urchin that grazes on it, but I really want it out of there.

Im getting great readings on nitrate and phosphate so they have to be false because the algae is using it.

All my corals look great and are growing so would starving the tank be worth it? Opinions and tips are much appreciated!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you starve it of nitrate, phosphate or light it will die. Problem is so will coral.
An efficient cuc, uv steriler and fine filter sock cleaned frequently can help

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and now have dinos. Algae is impossible.

Yea, they present in low and high nutrient environment. How do people manage to have algae free tanks without copious amount of effort to remove algae?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, they present in low and high nutrient environment. How do people manage to have algae free tanks without copious amount of effort to remove algae?

the OP has a nano (so do I). It's a lot harder to control algae in a nano for a number of reasons, but one obvious one is that ambitious grazers like tangs don't fit in a nano.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back