will neon dottyback eat little starfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtf74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jtf74

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2020
Messages
752
Reaction score
539
Location
Florissant
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands of these little starfish in tank and I enjoy seeing all their little legs swaying. Didn't think about them when I got a new dottyback though (in QT) and wondering will it likely wipe these out ?

micro brittle star fish.jpg
 
That's a bristlestar. I doubt the dotty will eat them. They usually bury deep in the sand. If your bed is deep enough you may never see them again lol.
 
Uh you want those guys in your tank. Very beneficial.
 
They can survive without a few arms, no problem. They regenerate their bodies after the fish eat them off.
mtv gimp GIF
 
That's a bristlestar. I doubt the dotty will eat them. They usually bury deep in the sand. If your bed is deep enough you may never see them again lol.
3" sandbed . I see so many every day. Every hole in liverock just about has one. Don't see these on the bottom at all.
Uh you want those guys in your tank. Very beneficial.
Yes I do want them, thats the point of the thread. I don't want them eaten.
They can survive without a few arms, no problem. They regenerate their bodies after the fish eat them off.
mtv gimp GIF
Thanks.
 
There usually isn’t enough edible meat to interest a fish. Like eating a crabs legs without tools. More effort than it’s worth.
 
There usually isn’t enough edible meat to interest a fish. Like eating a crabs legs without tools. More effort than it’s worth.
Plus they tend to get stuck between your teeth, not that appealing for eating.
 
3" sandbed . I see so many every day. Every hole in liverock just about has one. Don't see these on the bottom at all.

Yes I do want them, thats the point of the thread. I don't want them eaten.

Thanks.
I have an indigo dottyback for 3 years. Never seen him eat one.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new