Will Reef Flux kill all macro algae?

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 99% sure my bryopsis came in on my KP rock, it also came with some macro algae. The one that looks like green coins, and gracillapora it’s like purple and grows in y shaped pattern, also have cheato in the fuge. Will a dose of reef flux kill everything or not?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It totally killed all my algae in my reactor. Didn't have any macro but I would imagine it probably will cook that also. It messed with nutrient absorption and basically starves the plants.

I would suggest moving any macro you don't want killed off to a separate tank during treatment

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's inconsistent. Whenever I've used it (and I first used it before it was called Reef Flux, when you just had to order some fluconazole online from a shady pharmacist), the only thing it affected was my bryopsis. No impact whatsoever on chaeto or any other macro algae. But other people have had it impact everything from other macroalgae, all the way up to corals.

I suspect that Reef Flux either uses a slightly different formulation or they have some impurities in their capsules, leading to the occasional unintentional eradication.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommended dosage. 1 capsule per 10 gallons (volume). 29 caps total.

I think I may be looking at a total loss. My living corals are losing color rapidly.

And the GHA i was attacking doesn't seem to mind the reef flux all that much.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a few days after the treatment started. June 4th.

6685BEE3-13D7-4D20-90A5-18C94E6B6D66.jpeg

This is 2 days back. June 22nd:
36F74A01-CE66-42D3-AF09-33726657F7FF.jpeg

BE298E3A-1591-4806-A0EA-E687C3065AAE.jpeg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has killed GHA, and no loss of LPS for me the few time I used it. I had some weird green brown algae maybe turf? and it really did not mess with it. Never seen this stuff in 23 years, 2 months after it died/dying out, now im getting a little green growth on hardened sand bed. Might be time for more fluc

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommended dosage. 1 capsule per 10 gallons (volume). 29 caps total.

I think I may be looking at a total loss. My living corals are losing color rapidly.

And the GHA i was attacking doesn't seem to mind the reef flux all that much.

Reef Flux is for bryopsis. Hair algae shouldn't have any impact from Reef Flux. Stating the obvious which most of you know, but for new people bryopsis and hair algae are not the same thing

My experience with Reef Flux is bryopsis was (annoyingly) looking fine until start of week three, but end of week three with double dose Reef Flux bryopsis was gone. No return and its been 4-5 months. Hair algae that was treated with Vibrant has returned and I've just put a UV to try and get a little ahead of hair algae that now is killing my corals

@GillMeister How did things turn out for you?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Flux is for bryopsis. Hair algae shouldn't have any impact from Reef Flux. Stating the obvious which most of you know, but for new people bryopsis and hair algae are not the same thing

My experience with Reef Flux is bryopsis was (annoyingly) looking fine until start of week three, but end of week three with double dose Reef Flux bryopsis was gone. No return and its been 4-5 months. Hair algae that was treated with Vibrant has returned and I've just put a UV to try and get a little ahead of hair algae that now is killing my corals

@GillMeister How did things turn out for you?
I should add some background first. Someone on another thread posted that Reef Flux killed off all his GHA. It was miraculous. I asked if it was reef safe for SPS and i was generally assured that it was.

Fast forward to today and i have 4 remaining living corals and just a little GHA left in my tank.

The GHA wasn't going to kill my corals as fast as the flucanozole. It took 72 hours to decimate my tank.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flucanaxole works great on GHA it can definitely throw parameters out if whack in a SPS tank. LPS? Not so much. I've used it many times with great success and have never lost anything.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back