Will stocking list for 40 gallon be ok?

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I have a IM 40 gallon AIO cube and wanted to see if the stocking list I had in mind would be okay in the tank.

Im going with LPS only tank with sand and live rock with plenty of hiding places. I currently have a pair of clowns and a tail spot blenny in the tank doing great. Also corals and doing great with all growth. My current CUC is astrea snails, stomatella snails and 3 hermit crabs.

Stocking list I planned:
Pair clowns
Tailspot blenny
Yellow coris wrasse
Royal gramma
Rainsford goby
Coral beauty (adding last)

Any thoughts on this stocking list? Would this big okay compatibly wise? Any suggestions appreciated.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse and angel are a risk in a tank that size.

The goby, Gramma, and blenny are candidates for bullying.

What is your plan if someone needs to move?

Also that CUC will probably need to increase. Keep an eye on algae growth as a leading indicator.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has a tank to take if they don’t work out or my LFS also take fish for credit.

Also for CUC my stomatella snails are breeding so tank is packed with algae snails

I thought from some research yellow coris would fit in a 40 gallon. Same for coral beauty, flame or cherub angel could all fit

so you are saying the wrasse or the angel could bully the goby, blenny, and gramma? Or will those 3 be the bullies?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fine… kinda like my old 42 cube’s stocking. A 6 line, 2 gobies, 3 clowns, a flameback angel.
There might be some aggression among the wrasse and dwarf angel and possibly even royal gramma tho
I love the sixline, had one in my first tank 5yrs ago before I broke it down for college, I never had aggression from him but all the stories of 6 lines scared me away and that’s why I’m looking at yellow coris now but thank you appreciate the input from experience from similar stocking

Upvote 0

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the sixline, had one in my first tank 5yrs ago before I broke it down for college, I never had aggression from him but all the stories of 6 lines scared me away and that’s why I’m looking at yellow coris now but thank you appreciate the input from experience from similar stocking
Yep 6 line definitely are horrible!
Killed:
2 of my dartfish
1 flameback angel (2nd one was tougher)
a watchman goby (idk why a goby)

But yeah. Couldn’t catch him either

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow took out a flame angel! Yep definitely staying away from. The Coris wrasse and goby are next on the list I’m going to buy and add most likely next weekend

Upvote 0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I have a IM 40 gallon AIO cube and wanted to see if the stocking list I had in mind would be okay in the tank.

Im going with LPS only tank with sand and live rock with plenty of hiding places. I currently have a pair of clowns and a tail spot blenny in the tank doing great. Also corals and doing great with all growth. My current CUC is astrea snails, stomatella snails and 3 hermit crabs.

Stocking list I planned:
Pair clowns
Tailspot blenny
Yellow coris wrasse
Royal gramma
Rainsford goby
Coral beauty (adding last)

Any thoughts on this stocking list? Would this big okay compatibly wise? Any suggestions appreciated.
Too small for a coral beauty or yellow coris wrasse, a cherub angel would be good instead and a mccoskars flasher or carpenter wrasse would be a good alternative, though make sure you're staying on top of your water changes!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too small for a coral beauty or yellow coris wrasse, a cherub angel would be good instead and a mccoskars flasher or carpenter wrasse would be a good alternative, though make sure you're staying on top of your water changes!
I was looking to get pest control with the coris wrasse and from reading those two alternatives do not? Any suggestions to go that route?

Upvote 0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to get pest control with the coris wrasse and from reading those two alternatives do not? Any suggestions to go that route?
Hmm, I'm not as familiar with other wrasses that eat bristle worms if that is the pest you're looking to control, yellow coris need around a 75 gallon to be comfortable, they are a very active species and don't underestimate their size, you could go the route of a coral banded shrimp or arrow crab to eat bristle worms, though there is a risk that they will prey on smaller inverts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here with an update… December 9th went and picked up a royal gramma and rainfords goby. Both have been behaving nicely in the 40 gallon cube. No aggression between the clowns tailspot blenny royal gramma and rainsford.

So my next question is I’m staying away from the coral beauty so I think going with a wrasse to add next.

I really want to get a leopard wrasse and was wondering if anyone have experience keeping them in a 40 gal cube? Would this be sufficient? Will they take out the pods and end up starving both the rainford and himself?

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back