Will these lights sustain corals for a few months? - Planted tank LEDs!!!

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, due to a precarious situation I am in of currently transitioning my 55 gallon reef into my new 180 gallon reef, I am left in a difficult scenario. I have the equipment needed to make the 180 into a FOWLR tank (currently working on cycle), however the only thing stopping me from making a full out reef is the lighting. I plan to spent 1600$ or so on lighting, of which only 200$ I’ve saved up for. So it will be a while. I’d estimate at least 4-6 months. Maybe sooner depending on how much I can realistically earn as a 14 year old.

Now here’s the real dilemma. Can I sustain softies, LPS, and montipora and hydnophora with a PLANTED TANK LIGHT??? One of them is a cheap fixture with 10,000k white (30 bulbs) and 460nm blue (6 bulbs). The other lighting is from Dustin’s Fish Tanks (used to be big on planted tanks) and uses what I can make out to be 2500k warm white LED bulbs (36 bulbs) and either daylight 6500k or 10,000k bulbs (36 bulbs). Now, I don’t see how the first one will affect the corals negatively, and may be enough for some zoanthids/mushrooms. However the concern here is mainly with the second lighting and the amount of white here. I figured corals usually needed more blue than white?

Anyways, I guess my question is that whether this lighting will atleast enable corals to survive for 4-6 months assuming I provide otherwise good husbandry? If not, I can always keep them in my 55 gallon with proper lighting for a bit, however with no protein skimmer and filtration besides the live rock! It’s such a dilemma!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back