Full spectrum Planted LED Light

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not have the funds to buy AI primes yet for my first saltwater tank so wondering if the Aquarium CO-OP light that I have now from my freshwater set up can sustain an coral life. If so what corals can I keep. If not I will just have a FOWLR tank for now which will be fine for now. Link below is to Aquarium CO-OP's website and their light I own.

I have a Aqueon 4' tank with their 4 foot light.

Current LED light

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1711411543432.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might. I don’t see the breakdown of the spectrums. But I do see white and blue. I would try a few softies (easy to keep corals.)

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Back and forth: Seoul, South Korea to Florida
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
in my personal experience, freshwater planted tank lights always put off too much warm white lighting, and by far, not enough blues. if you're able to adjust the channels on the light and turn down the warm whites, turn up the blues, and cool white, and you'll be okay with softie corals (leathers, sinularia, nepthea, maybe photosynthetic gorgonian, etc.)

just know that your tank may appear yellowish, and your corals wont look as bright or vibrant (perhaps having a bit of a brownish tint. i also experienced a bit of excessive algae growth, and not the good type; a little red and green cyano, green hair algae, and excessive films on the glass.

so... it would likely work in the short term, but it would be best to invest in actual reef lights, for the long term. im not sure what style or wattage you're looking for, but these are great, affordable, easy, bright, beginner lights— check these out:

Thread '[BRAND NEW] ×2 Nicrew Hyper Reef 30w - with arm mounts (great beginner lights)' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...ith-arm-mounts-great-beginner-lights.1044670/

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input! I have an Aqueon 7 gallon. I’ll take a peak at their larger units. I don’t think the 30watts will be enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back