Will this be too much flow

geraldr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone, this is my first post on r2r. So my question is, is 53x in tank turn over too much or just right for my next build the tank will be an SPS dominant mixed reef. Thank you for your feedback.

flooddc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With today's powerheads/wavemakers, there is no reason to run that much turnover. Also, it create more noise and not enough contact time for the skimmer to work efficiently.

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you're talking about total flow, not just return-pump.
Basically there's no such thing as "too much flow" if it's indirect.

If you're running bare bottom, and your fish aren't plastered to the walls you're probably good :)

I'm personally close to 100x/h I think

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

What are some of the other details of your tank? I think there are a lot of variables.... Sounds like a lot..but.... maybe not...

I run a 180 display being fed by a Hammer Head return pump coming up from the basement sump at 3700 GPH with the ~16' rise. Honestly.... I was amazed initially with how much pressure and flow I had running out of four lockline outlets across my tank. Around 18x turnover. As things started to grow... I added 2 MP40s....and the water movement is insane. I am running my MP40s through various programs... but none more than 70% (~4,500*.7 = 3,150*2 +3700 from HH /200 = 50x twv).

My tank is a mixed reef.... so some of the LPS and nems probably wouldn't like it much more.. placement is key.... but could it work for an SPS only... sure.

Again, Welcome to R2R. When you give us more details on your tank.... don't forget pictures when you get rolling!!!!!

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer, no.

Alot of people, myself included have up to 100X+ turnover. Granted, these pumps are constantly changing power and frequency so its not a true 100X turnover, more so gross potential output.

I have a standard 180G with a gross output of 19,500GPH. Flow comes 4 MP40's at 100% reef crest and the return pump.

OP
OP
G

geraldr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With today's powerheads/wavemakers, there is no reason to run that much turnover. Also, it create more noise and not enough contact time for the skimmer to work efficiently.
Sorry for the confusion. This was for in-tank turn over alone not including any water moved by the return pump.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back