Will This Work?

DocPorkChop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get back into the hobby and finally have a house I can setup a tank and basement fish room. Below is my initial thought on the setup, looking for any recommendations of changes you would make,.

-75 Gallon Aqueon Tank (I would drill)
-55 Gallon Sump
-1200 GPH Low Profile Modular Marine Overflow
-Iwaki MD-55 1100 GPH Return Pump
-2x Radion XR15 G5 Lights

My basement fish room is about 20 feet laterally and 10 feet vertically separated from where the display tank will be. Planning to use 1" piping

Fish Tank Idea.png

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing i find concerning is the check valves. If the system is sump is sized so that they are not needed then no big deal. If you relying on them i would do something different.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 120 instead of a 75. Basically the same footprint and more options.

OP
OP
D

DocPorkChop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mbd, my plan for those check valves is to only use them in the case one of the pumps fail. I travel a lot for work so when I am going to be gone for a couple days I would open up the T handles for the back up pump so If I needed to remotely turn it on I could. My thought is the check valves would stop the pump from pumping backwards into the other pump

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get back into the hobby and finally have a house I can setup a tank and basement fish room. Below is my initial thought on the setup, looking for any recommendations of changes you would make,.

-75 Gallon Aqueon Tank (I would drill)
-55 Gallon Sump
-1200 GPH Low Profile Modular Marine Overflow
-Iwaki MD-55 1100 GPH Return Pump
-2x Radion XR15 G5 Lights

My basement fish room is about 20 feet laterally and 10 feet vertically separated from where the display tank will be. Planning to use 1" piping

Fish Tank Idea.png
check out my build. the AC pump will try to provide 750 -800 gpm, you are using valves to throttle it, the overflow will allow a bean animal i would suggest that that would be the way to go. I am curious about your plan to connect the return pumps to the sump. I went with internal return because i was unsure about the bulkhead/piping/vibration/leak situation. good luck!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to use 45s rather than 90s. 90s are much more restrictive to flow.

OP
OP
D

DocPorkChop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can probably change 1 of the 90s to 45s but I will definitely have to have one 90 coming through the floor to the display tank. Do you think the pump would be able to handle that?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back