Will you keep a CBB in your Reef?

  • Thread starter Thread starter knockout
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Will you?

  • Yes

    Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

    Votes: 11 40.7%

  • Total voters
    27

knockout

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
429
Reaction score
214
Location
Mount Pocono, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of adding a Copperband Butterfly (CBB)

LiveAquaria rates the fish as Safe with Caution

how safe is it?

other than: will the CBB eat prepared foods? what is the biggest challenge?

is it safe with Corals? I read they may pick on Anemones, I don't think my two clowns will let it get any where near it.

215g tank, 75g sump
other fish include in order from docile to semi-agressive:
2 Gobies
10 Anthias
1 Wrasses
1 Bleeny
4 Tangs
1 Royal Gramma
2 GS Maroon Clowns

Your take is greatly appreciated
 
Last edited:
My friend had one and the only bad thing it did was eat the little eye's off all her snails ... strange taste it had!
 
No. I like fan and tube worms, and they are just too whimpy and death prone, IMO/E. Congrats to those that have them though ;)
 
I had one for awhile. I should have QT'd it originally, but I wanted to get it right into the DT with LR for it to feed on. It left all of my corals alone (small mix of soft, LPS, and SPS at the time) but demolished the ball anemones I had. Unfortunately, it got some kind of super nasty infection and went down within 24 hours of the first symptoms appearing.

I'd go for one again, but don't have the room for it currently.
 
We've had them personally for years, and use them in all of our clients tanks currently, with no problems. They serve their purpose well, and look cool. About 3 months ago, we had one in our solid LPS tank, and we noticed that all of the acans looked sad One day.. As we were standing there pondering the cause, CBB cruises in, and NAILS three different colonies right in front of us... Then nailed a few favias too... Followed by picking snails off the glass. Strange... Still use them in other tanks, but`needless to say, he is no longer in that tank!
 
I just don't like the "I'll try this and if it doesn't work, reverse course" mentality with livestock. I get attatched too quickly to fish especially, so always use extra caution when placing them in my tanks.
 
I just don't like the "I'll try this and if it doesn't work, reverse course" mentality with livestock. I get attatched too quickly to fish especially, so always use extra caution when placing them in my tanks.

I like you get attached to livestock very quickly... this is not the case at all, so far I have read many threads about CBB kept in reefs and more of don't keep in reefs, so far the verdict is 50/50 at best, I started this thread as a mean to gauge this great forum users experiences with the fish

Please continue to post your experiences
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new