Wining or losing against dinos, i’m not sure

HumbleAsianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Few days ago, i’m battling against dinos (green in colour that looks like algae patches with a lot of bubbles) covering almost 20% of my rockwork, sadly i’m not sure what kind of dinos it is, i dont have a microscope to id it. Lost 2 turbo snails.

What i did was, 24hours black out, dosing a lot of bacteria, turn down my photoperiod n set it on acclimation mode, turning off skimmer, heavy feeding, phyto dosing. Yeah, i know i’m doing a lot of things at a time. But it seems the dinos with ‘bubbles’ thing is gone & hopefully it will not be back. As for now, my tank is very cloudy, BTA shrivel & my devil’s hand leather not looking good. Everything else is fine.

Attached some pics. Will they recover or should i just give up on them? Thanks in advance

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run activated carbon. when leathers or soft corals get ticked they will release toxins that will cause a chain reaction of bad things to come. I personally don't see dinos in your photos. dinos typically look like a slime. I think its very important to get a Hannah nitrate and phosphate ULR checkers.

I have been using mine religiously to get out of some of the stuff you are going though. Getting an accurate reading of your nutrients will send you down the correct path. as it sits there you are just guessing. also a product I highly recommend to get a great base of bacteria to out compete the nastys is Bio Digest bacteria using 1 vial every 15 days.

I have tried many bottled bacteria and this hands down is the best IMO

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's the deal... you can buy a microscope if you want or just throw the kitchen sink at it. The kitchen sink is skyrocket nutrients, an oversized UV that will allow you to target protozoa and algae at the same time, dose silicates, start culturing pods so you don't go broke adding them and culture phyto. Try that for 6 months. If it don't go away, start over. I wasted 2 years fighting Coolia. If I ever saw Coolia under my Microscope again, I'd immediately start over. You can find cheap, oversized UVs here. Silicates are dirt cheap. Tisbe pods are dirt cheap and Tetraselmis is dirt cheap. The skys the limit on how you set your culture up but you could use a couple of 2l bottles and a 10g air pump if you want. I spent a few hundred from posideonreef. I spend 30min/week on my 2g phyto and 10g pod cultures. Tell me your total water volume and I'll tell you what UV to get and how to set it up.

Or you can mess around and do stuff other people recommend that might work for 2 months. If they aren't gone start over and never let your nutrients get below .1-10 again...

Carbon will protect your animals from dieing so get on that immediately! I didn't and all but my fish died. Sponge included... don't waste your money adding bottled bacteria, microbacter7, DinoX etc etc...

Now that I see the pics of your tank get the 15w HOB aquaUV and set it for 100gph. Calculate flow by filling a 1g milk jug. I just got one for $75 on here. I use it to sterilize my saltwater mix for pods and phyto.

This is the unbeatable Coolia...

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back