Winter Shipping

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to do the most fragging I have ever done (60+ frags zoas and sps), since my frag tank is getting going well. I am thinking I am going to be doing alot of shipping this winter. I have shipping experience in fall and spring, but not much in winter.

I usually use these boxeshttp://www.superiorshippingsupplies.com/the-store/110/ilvm_fly_easy_shopping_dark_greentpl/shopproduct_details/1008

usually use these heat packs taped to top of boxhttp://www.superiorshippingsupplies.com/heat-packs/40-hr-uniHeat-heat-packs-shipping-warmers-1-pack-10-units

I
double bag coral then place all bags in one large bag surrounded by peanuts with heat pack taped to top of box, and ship fedex standard. Will this work for winter?

Any winter shipping experts with advice?

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty much how most of the shipments that I receive in the winter come in. The only difference is that the box is typically lined with styrofoam. One thing I would keep in mind is where you are shipping to, the Fed-Ex hubs that the shipment will travel through and the weather. If there is severe weather, I would work with the buyer to coordinate an alternate shipping date. A snow or ice storm will ground flights and shut down areas. This can put the shipment in limbo for days.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, The boxes I use have 3/4 inch styrofoam is that thick enough for winter?

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, The boxes I use have 3/4 inch styrofoam is that thick enough for winter?
3/4 is plenty thick. If your really worried you can buy coolers. They are really thick and let very little air in.

Gundo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few tips. 3/4" is fine. 1/2" is even ok. More importantly is making sure the box is air tight and that you use the right heat packs, not hand warmers. Make sure bags do not come in direct contact with the warmer thus cooking the corals. If making your own styro boxes which I often do make sure the edges seal properly. Sometimes I'll run a bead of hot glue to be safe. Also, always clear tape seams on outside of the box to limit cold air entering. Lastly, always make sure you pack the corals in tight so they do not shift during transit and risk rupturing/leaking from a sudden impact. If possible drop off to shipper soon before driver pics up to limit "box time". Just my .02

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 styro with PLASTIC BAGS SURROUNDING THE CORAL. yes plastic baggs will keep in heat with the heat pack. 40Hr Heat pack it good for the winter, Let them heat up for about 2 hours in advanced to start getting really warm and toasty. plastic baggs work like a charm with the heat packs. No wet towels and wet paper to make it humid you will only loose heat if you do that cause its soo cold. Extra tape around the cracks do well too.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its gonna be in the low 30s here tomorrow in new york :/!!! and i have to ship to arizona OHH mannnn time for thinking cappss on! D: everything will go well tho i might make a short film on packing :) sounds fun>.<!

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its gonna be in the low 30s here tomorrow in new york :/!!! and i have to ship to arizona OHH mannnn time for thinking cappss on! D: everything will go well tho i might make a short film on packing :) sounds fun>.<!
Good luck with shipment. If you made the video, please share!!! :bigsmile:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back