Wireless Apex Adapter

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look nice but just a word of advice, using a wireless extender like I posted above allows you to only have one additional thing plugged into the wall as opposed to have two things plugged into the wall in your house. Just a thought if thats important to you or not

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458850500.058486.jpg

Oh you mean like this model... Lol I bought the one that doesn't have the outlet option because in my circumstance I didn't need it.

jrose323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the powerline option. You will get the most reliability. I use these throughout my house to limit the amount of devices running off Wi-Fi so only true wireless devices are using the wireless network instead of static devices. The powerline system provides the same level of service that running a dedicated ethernet cable would.

http://amazon.com/Netgear-Powerline-Extra-Outlet-PLP1200-100PAS/dp/B00S6DBGIS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Out of curiosity what do you all use on the power line option? Don't mean to derail thread but Im interested in possibly connecting more things in my house via wire from wireless and am interested on your experience with the power line. Thanks

jrose323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what do you all use on the power line option? Don't mean to derail thread but Im interested in possibly connecting more things in my house via wire from wireless and am interested on your experience with the power line. Thanks

The powerline option works just like an actual ethernet cable. You or your devices wont know the difference. In the cases where I have multiple devices, (Such as my home theater system) I have one of these plugged in the back of the theater system with a network switch plugged into it which allows me to connect as many devices as I want depending on the switch size I get (ie: 4 port, 6 port, 8 port, etc).

It is best practice to connect as many of your static devices via hardwire to free up wifi bandwidth for your true wireless devices like phones, laptops, etc. Especially if you have a low end wireless router that does not have a large throughput to handle large amounts of wireless traffic.

At the current moment, I would only recommend the one I provided above which is the Netgear PLP1200 as it is the fastest one on the market at the moment (True 1gb speed). The lower end models top out at 500-600mb.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Apex :) It should be here on Saturday. I will try my existing wireless extender first before ordering another unit. Thank you all for so much help on this topic!

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Apex :) It should be here on Saturday. I will try my existing wireless extender first before ordering another unit. Thank you all for so much help on this topic!

You will love it.

Read through or at least skim through the comprehensive user guide

Many seem to use fusion more due to ease of use.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love it.

Read through or at least skim through the comprehensive user guide

Many seem to use fusion more due to ease of use.
I guess the comprehensive user guide is online? There was no documentation in the box.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the comprehensive user guide is online? There was no documentation in the box.
here you go. https://apexfusion.com/pdf/acrm.pdf you are still going to have to have the unit hardwired when you set the unit up and when you do frimware updates. I just bit the bullet and crawled up in the attic and hardwired mine so that I do not have to mess with unplugging and plugging back in.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used wireless adaptor for a while, but recently hardwired it. IMO there was no comparison on how fast and how reliable is the response to changes via computer or iphone/ipad, even though computer/iphone/ipad are connected wirelessly. It took me about 1 hour and 20 $ to set it up though the attic and walls.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you go. https://apexfusion.com/pdf/acrm.pdf you are still going to have to have the unit hardwired when you set the unit up and when you do frimware updates. I just bit the bullet and crawled up in the attic and hardwired mine so that I do not have to mess with unplugging and plugging back in.
Thanks!

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most likely going to have to run a separate power circuit for my tank anyway, so I could probably just drag a cat5 wire while I'm at it.

Remember to leave some space between the CAT5 and the romex
Yes. You will not regret it.

I've been in the IT trade for a long time and hardwired really is the better way to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rember to leave some spase between the CAT5 an

I've been in the IT trade for a long time and hardwired really is the better way to go.
I presume you meant leave some room between the cat5 and the romex. I planned to do that as they won't be taking the same path or using the same will penetrations. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back