Woke up to burning smell…

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace my heaters every year and have a backup. I lost my first tank 20 or so years agon when the heater died. Never again.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully no issues, exposure time was an hour at the most

Thank god you were home, in my experience things only go wrong when I’m not home and/or on vacation.
So true, and very lucky indeed

But the old aqueon heaters are "vintage" technology....glad nothing serious developed for you...
Thank you. This is why I don’t prefer vintage gear. Unless it’s audio gear lol

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace my heaters every year and have a backup. I lost my first tank 20 or so years agon when the heater died. Never again.

I lost a lot several years ago with a heater that came on and stayed on. Another time about 15 years ago I had a glass one crack. Never again. All titanium now with external controllers

Hinano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully you were home when it happened! I've had several glass heaters break, then went to cobalt which are fine. I had a clients titanium heater tube melt through the side of a sump when it got shifted and exposed out of the water. Every time this happened a water change was preformed and carbon was introduced or increased (if already in use).

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing heater is only 50w. But my concern is anything potentially leaching out of it. Glad it was caught quick
This is terrifying!!! I’m glad you caught it when you did!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a giant bag of it. I can throw some in
This is the Poly Filter and your LFS should have it. I too would run it for some time now to be safe.

I run dual heaters with each on it's own controller. Figure I better be safe than sorry!

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get your hands on polyfilter? No idea if it actually works as described in the sales blurb, however, may make you feel like you've done something constructive.
The Incomparable Poly Filter is one of a few things I'll never be without in this hobby. I keep one in my tank at all times and always have a few on the side. They are a little expensive but worth every penny. They've literally saved my tanks more times than I like to think about. They'll remove most anything dangerous and it won't leach back out, plus the color change tells you what's been removed.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised the Breaker didn't trip. Do you have a GFCI outlet on the tank. If not maybe you should.
Afci may have tripped. GFCI would have tripped if a ground was achieved like sticking in a hand.

AFCI protects your house
GFCI protects your life

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back