Woke up to find a snake in my basement

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought I would see the day when I would find a snake in my basement. :) Every few years I'm privileged to find a little garter snake in my yard but it's a rarity for sure. Admittedly they're probably there all the time I just don't see them. Fast forward to this morning... I usually let my dogs out through the basement so that's what I proceeded to do. I get them outside and I go back in to grab some gardening tools. I was standing beside the utility sink which is next to the basement door when I look over at the taps and that's when I see it but I don't see it. In my confusion as to what I was looking at I kept saying to myself "where the heck did that piece of rope come from?". I just stood there staring at it trying to figure out where the rope came from and then I see the tongue flicker. So there I am staring at him and he's staring at me and it still took me another minute to process that I was staring at a snake. LOL I like snakes so I wasn't freaked out I was more concerned how I would catch him before he got away. I didn't want to lose him in my basement. I ended up distracting him with one hand and grabbed him from behind with the other. Not sure why he was in the house or how he even got in. It was crazy hot here yesterday so maybe he was seeking respite from the heat. :) He's safely back outside now. I released him in a shady spot.

Meet Jerry... He's very small and very cute! I hope Jerry comes to visit me again. :)

20220617_101733_compress24.jpg 20220617_101919_HDR_compress56.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool.......it is a DeKay's or Brownsnake. Probably the most docile snake you will ever handle. I have handled hundreds over my lifetime and have never had even one try to bite.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool.......it is a DeKay's or Brownsnake. Probably the most docile snake you will ever handle. I have handled hundreds over my lifetime and have never had even one try to bite.
Thanks for this! I was trying to find out what type he might be. I think the only venomous snake we have where I live is a species of rattle snake (and they're not in the city) but it was only after I grabbed him that I thought... "Oh oh, what if this guy is venomous". LOL Admittedly he looks different from other little garden snakes I've seen so I got a bit concerned for a second. I'm still gobsmacked that I found him in my house. Later that day I saw a groundhog in my backyard so it was a banner day for wildlife. Haha.

I had a real battle with myself to not keep him/her as a pet because he is just so darn cute!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yeah, they actually make very good pets. Don't get big at all (full grown is only around 12 inches) and are pretty easy to feed and care for.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back