Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't kno
IMG_Wolf Eel.jpg
w what this greenish-blue coloring indicates that's circles the eel anal area.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't kno
IMG_Wolf Eel.jpg
w what this greenish-blue coloring indicates that's circles the eel anal area.
Looks like infection and not yet rectal prolapse which you dont want. Often this stems from indigestion or constipation based on what it may have recently eaten. Generally brine shrimp if constipation would help but not with this big guy.
In the event its infection, Ruby Rally Pro is one of the few meds I trust for an eel as they are scale-less.

@Jay Hemdal
@lion king

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like infection and not yet rectal prolapse which you dont want. Often this stems from indigestion or constipation based on what it may have recently eaten. Generally brine shrimp if constipation would help but not with this big guy.
In the event its infection, Ruby Rally Pro is one of the few meds I trust for an eel as they are scale-less.

@Jay Hemdal
@lion king
Thank you for this information. What forum does the wolf eel appear?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I see green coloration anywhere in a fish's alimentary canal, my first thought is bile staining. That can be a result of liver dysfunction. However, this species is normally green, so I can't say for sure.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I see green coloration anywhere in a fish's alimentary canal, my first thought is bile staining. That can be a result of liver dysfunction. However, this species is normally green, so I can't say for sure.

Jay
I'm worried and need to know where I can get more information how to treat the eel. The picture should be helpful

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have had him, what is his feeding schedule and what are you feeding him. This can be a completely normal temporary indicator. Not having a exact diagnosis I would hold off on any treatment. If he's not eating or showing signs of lethargy, clouded eyes or faded coloration, then I would re-access.

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have had him, what is his feeding schedule and what are you feeding him. This can be a completely normal temporary indicator. Not having a exact diagnosis I would hold off on any treatment. If he's not eating or showing signs of lethargy, clouded eyes or faded coloration, then I would re-access.
I've had him about one year and always been very healthy. Feed four times a week raw shrimp and squid pieces.
Almost appears to be constipation or an infection in that area caused by parasites. Has an appetite but not as ravenous as usual. Thank you for your response.

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Are you familiar with Fritz Expel-P? It has been recommended when bloating is apparent due to worms and parasites,

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you familiar with Fritz Expel-P? It has been recommended when bloating is apparent due to worms and parasites,

I haven't used that product, but it contains levamisole. That is used to control nematode infections.

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him about one year and always been very healthy. Feed four times a week raw shrimp and squid pieces.
Almost appears to be constipation or an infection in that area caused by parasites. Has an appetite but not as ravenous as usual. Thank you for your response.

You can help with constipation by raising mg to 1600ppm and try some live brine shrimp in a baster and see if he'll take some that way. These guys wouldn't usually eat feces so after that long tge only way I think he would get internal parasites would be to eat a diseased fish, has anything like that happened. I find the treatments like general cure and fritz paracleanse to be safe, so if you are concerned about internal parasites, you could give that a try.

A dietary tip that may help some predatory fish with digestion that eats a 100% carnivorous diet. Stuff a few algae pellets in the chunks of food you feed, I use New Life Spectrum algae max. In the wild they would eat the whole fish, including the gut flora that would contain nutrients from algae sources.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried and need to know where I can get more information how to treat the eel. The picture should be helpful
Sorry, if it is bile staining, there isn't any effective treatment as it is a symptom of major internal organ issues.

Jay

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's not a true eel, just no reason to throw meds at an issue you are not sure of, and gc is just one of those meds that seem to be easily tolerated.
Right, Dottyback and Carpet eel blenny are more specific names. Where's a doc when you need one?

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could Dropsy be the problem with my Dottyback wolf eel whose body is very bloated? How would I treat it? It's already in a hospital tank and have given one dose of Fritz Expel-P one week ago with no change. I'm withholding the second dose if Dropsy would be a better option.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back