Wolf Eel Anal Infection

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like a case of parasites we commonly see in puffers. I would agree with @lion king. General Cure will get rid of most of those parasites if this is the case.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think Dropsy could be the problem? The belly as you can see is very bloated. Should I try something?
Dropsy is another symptom of the same issue - either liver or kidney disease. In freshwater fish, you can treat mild symptoms of dropsy with some salt in the water, but that doesn’t work for saltwater fish….and then, the effect is only temporary, the organ failure is still there and is just not fixable, sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropsy is another symptom of the same issue - either liver or kidney disease. In freshwater fish, you can treat mild symptoms of dropsy with some salt in the water, but that doesn’t work for saltwater fish….and then, the effect is only temporary, the organ failure is still there and is just not fixable, sorry.
Jay
Thanks Jay, I respect your impute and have to agree with you.

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still eating, did you try general cure
Stopped eating @ one week ago. Jay has really provided excellent feedback and seems the issue is internal organ/s.
The eel still looks and acts normal with the exception of stopped eating. I'm researching the best way to anesthetize the eel. Are you familiar with the process?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped eating @ one week ago. Jay has really provided excellent feedback and seems the issue is internal organ/s.
The eel still looks and acts normal with the exception of stopped eating. I'm researching the best way to anesthetize the eel. Are you familiar with the process?

MS-222 is the best material to use for fish anesthesia, but it is expensive and not very available for home use. Clove oil, eugenol is sometimes used, and is easier to get. I've used MS-222 thousands of times and I'm very comfortable with it. I've only used Eugenol twice, so I had to look up the dose. The USFWS gives a range of 10 – 100 milligram (mg) eugenol per L for up to 15 minutes exposure. Too long or too high of a dose, and it will euthanize the fish. I would try 25 mg/l to begin with.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back