Wonderpus

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald Bay ended with some wonderpus octopus due to an ordering error. After a lot of thought I decided to get one. I know they are difficult to keep and have a short lifespan anyway. I hated to see him and up in someone's tank who didn't have a clue how to care for him. We worked up a trade for some of my clowns and a some other things. I have a little experience keeping a bimac octopus before and Michael at the Critter has kept them and I'm getting advice from him as well. He got one of the others. I wouldn't normally have gotten one because I think they are better left in the ocean or maybe public aquariums but I figure I can at least give this one the best home I can.

With all that said, this is by far the coolest creature I have ever kept! I'm uploading a short video to YouTube and will post it when it finishes.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome critter.

Many years ago, I did some fairly serious research into starting and keeping an Octopus. After about a year worth of reading everything I could find on the subject, I came to the same conclusion you expressed... these animals are better off left in the ocean.

Cuttlefish, on the other hand :) No, I've not ever kept them, but I still think that some day, I will.

Anyone see Laura Birenbaum's presentation at MACNA?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...arf-cuttlefish-by-Laura-Birenbaum-MACNA-2014/

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome critter.

Many years ago, I did some fairly serious research into starting and keeping an Octopus. After about a year worth of reading everything I could find on the subject, I came to the same conclusion you expressed... these animals are better off left in the ocean.

Cuttlefish, on the other hand :) No, I've not ever kept them, but I still think that some day, I will.

Anyone see Laura Birenbaum's presentation at MACNA?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...arf-cuttlefish-by-Laura-Birenbaum-MACNA-2014/

I tried raising some baby cuttlefish once. Finding appropriate food when they are small is pretty difficult. I want to try again at some point.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back