Wood for drilling template

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’m planning to drill a tank with diamond drill bit but I don’t have a template to hold the bit in place while I drill.

What kind of wood do I use to make the template and what is the best thickness for the wood?

I’m also wondering if a 32mm wood hole saw is the same size as a 32mm diamond drill bit.

Any other tips or advise for drilling a 1/2” thick glass tank for a first timer would be great.

Thank you

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave adequate space between the hole and the edge of the glass. I would suggest that the hole be no closer than an inch from the edge of the glass. For larger holes, I believe the rule of thumb is the length between the edge of the tank and the edge of the hole should be equal to the diameter of the hole.

I've used a scrap piece of 1/4 inch plywood before. I outlined the hole saw with a sharpie onto the wood, then cut the hole out of the wood with a Dremel since I didn't have a wood hole saw of the same size. All I needed was something to clamp to the glass to keep the hole saw from walking all over the place. For 1/2 inch thick glass (or any, for that matter), once the hole is started it shouldn't really move around as it works its way through the glass. Good luck!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer 1/2 drill guides. I've made them from plywood and plexiglass. I like them a little thicker because they hold more water to keep the bit cool.

As far as hole location, you want to be a minimum of a diameters length from any edge or any other holes.

Here's what I do....

1. I use plumber's putty to seal the guide to the glass. This will assist in holding the cooling water in the guide.

2. The guide is taped down to the glass with duct tape. If they fit, I'll also lightly clamp down the guide as well.

3. I also put duct tape and a piece of plywood on the opposite side of the hole to catch the hole and minimize chip-out.

4. Fill the guide with water and begin drilling....no pressure on the drill, with the drill going slow.

Half inch glass will take 15 - 20 minutes. Stop and refill the cooling water as needed.

Preparing to Drill Holes.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really hoping that you won't try to drill the glass with that bit! It will be just fine for the guide, but you must use a diamond bit for the glass.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really hoping that you won't try to drill the glass with that bit! It will be just fine for the guide, but you must use a diamond bit for the glass.
Yea that one is for the plywood. The 35mm and 45mm diamond drill bit from BRS will arrive this Saturday :)

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone in this small thread. Y’all helped me through the wood template and drilling section of tank builds! The drilling was successful and everything went according to planned!

7BA5F4BA-2764-4411-A241-AF68D5DA7CE8.jpeg

E38027FB-50F7-40C7-BEA5-0F75CDE3CDF9.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back