Worm ID?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed these worms on glass of my refugium. Kinda puzzled as I have quarantined everything that’s gone into my tank including corals and chaeto. Any idea what these might be and if I should be concerned about them being in my display too?

IMG_1114.jpeg IMG_1115.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they move at all? Are these worm tubes or the actual worms? Does anything ever come in/out of them? Is that close up pic specimen the same kind of worm as the rest?

Regardless, I'd assume they came in on the chaeto.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they move at all? Are these worm tubes or the actual worms? Does anything ever come in/out of them? Is that close up pic specimen the same kind of worm as the rest?

Regardless, I'd assume they came in on the chaeto.
The C shaped ones don’t move and kinda look like tubes I think. The bigger white ones are moving. I think there’s 2 different species or different life stages

The chaeto was from algea barn and has been in the tank for months without seeing them

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The C shaped ones don’t move and kinda look like tubes I think. The bigger white ones are moving. I think there’s 2 different species or different life stages

The chaeto was from algea barn and has been in the tank for months without seeing them
Can you get some pics of them under white light?

When you say the bigger ones are moving, can you describe that more? Are they crawling around, expanding/contracting, inflating/deflating, opening/closing, etc.?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some pics of them under white light?

When you say the bigger ones are moving, can you describe that more? Are they crawling around, expanding/contracting, inflating/deflating, opening/closing, etc.?
The head moves back and forth and it crawls on the glass. My fuge light only has one color but it’s a whiter light.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head moves back and forth and it crawls on the glass. My fuge light only has one color but it’s a whiter light.
Could you shine a white flashlight on one of each, or pull one of the moving ones out of the fuge in a bowl of tank water and get some pics of it under white light that way?

The C-shaped ones are probably some sort of worms, but I can't say for sure at this point. Do you ever see anything popping in or out of them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back