Worm ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmanley7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jmanley7

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
57
Reaction score
7
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this on my glass today. Any idea what it is?


ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454090612.481964.jpg


ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454090622.391886.jpg
 
That's a spaghetti worm (Terebellid)
 
Not an expert, but looks like a Cirratulid worm. I do not know if they are neutral, beneficial, or harmful.
 
Not an expert, but looks like a Cirratulid worm. I do not know if they are neutral, beneficial, or harmful.

Why were you thinking it was a Cirratulid over a Terebellid?

Now to me, my question could be taken as a snotty one, if you read my tone wrong, you know what I mean? I'd rather someone tell me I'm wrong, then let me make the same mistake again in the future.
 
because I thought all spaghetti worms were white and had more tentacles that were congregated on the anterior end. This worm had fewer tentacles and they appeared to be spread out across the body. But I am extremely new to reef tank invert taxonomy.

I always preface with the not an expert. Undergrad was zoology, but much better at vertebrates. Still, I enjoy taxonomy and ID'ing stuff.
I did not take your question as a snotty one at all. I appreciate the correction.
 
It looks like a Cirratulid worm, whether its a Hair worm or Spaghetti worm, both harmless and cool looking.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new