Worm ID

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help identifying worm in tank. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything just hangs out in xenia most of the time. Tried to remove thinking was bristleworm but it's to fast for me and one time I did get him split in half and regrew. Is about 4in when fully stretched out.
IMG_20221117_140306234.jpg

CdubsMixReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want him in there anymore and have a plastic net you could cut the handle off and put the Xenia you say he hangs around them put gloves on an lift the net out really fast

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaetae visible by the tail eliminates sea cucumbers and a few cucumber-like worms. From what I can see, it could be a few different things, but it reminds me most of the "Blue-Tailed Syllid" worm (if you click by my name in the quote below, it'll take you to the thread the quote was pulled from that has a pic you can compare to - there are a few other pics floating around on the web you can find too, but there aren't a whole lot):
It's definitely not your standard bristleworm, but the term technically applies to the whole taxonomic class, Polychaeta. My guess is this is some kind of Syllid worm, possibly the "Blue-tailed Syllid" as it is known in the hobby (I haven't been able to find a scientific name for them yet) - these guys are noted to be commonly found crawling over Gonis. These guys aren't known to be harmful, but they have been known to occasionally irritate corals they crawl over (likely because of their long chaetae).

So, it may be a syllid worm, or it may be an "Accordion Worm" (which I also can't find a scientific name for):

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaetae visible by the tail eliminates sea cucumbers and a few cucumber-like worms. From what I can see, it could be a few different things, but it reminds me most of the "Blue-Tailed Syllid" worm (if you click by my name in the quote below, it'll take you to the thread the quote was pulled from that has a pic you can compare to - there are a few other pics floating around on the web you can find too, but there aren't a whole lot):

So, it may be a syllid worm, or it may be an "Accordion Worm" (which I also can't find a scientific name for):
It does look like some of the pictures of syllid has similar body structure and face? Not sure what to call it. Are they reef safe? From what I read they eat kinda anything even have been found with pollen in there stomachs

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn't really have those strands coming out of the sides either not sure what they are called either

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like some of the pictures of syllid has similar body structure and face? Not sure what to call it. Are they reef safe? From what I read they eat kinda anything even have been found with pollen in there stomachs
Yeah, a lot of worms have faces/head. From what I've heard of these specific worms, yes, but they haven't been common for years now from my understanding, so I've got limited data to work with for them.
It doesn't really have those strands coming out of the sides either not sure what they are called either
It looks to me like yours does show the strands - called chaetae; A.K.A. the bristles that make a worm a bristleworm - coming out the sides in your pic, though they are hard to see. The most easily visible ones (assuming my eyes aren't playing tricks on) on yours are on the right side of the pic near the base of the coral.

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a lot of worms have faces/head. From what I've heard of these specific worms, yes, but they haven't been common for years now from my understanding, so I've got limited data to work with for them.

It looks to me like yours does show the strands - called chaetae; A.K.A. the bristles that make a worm a bristleworm - coming out the sides in your pic, though they are hard to see. The most easily visible ones (assuming my eyes aren't playing tricks on) on yours are on the right side of the pic near the base of the coral.
I think your right from what I can tell. Thank you. Guess I'll leave him be since doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back