Worms… are these ok?

robinmprn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these fine white worms that come out of tubes. Was wondering if they are ok or something I need to worry about. They seem to be reproducing very quickly.

IMG_8443.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have these fine white worms that come out of tubes. Was wondering if they are ok or something I need to worry about. They seem to be reproducing very quickly.

IMG_8443.jpeg
Looks like strand from spinoid worm but can also be spaghetti worm Which I believe is what you are seeing (protruded stringers)

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like vermetid snail tubes. If that’s what they are, you can smash them, super glue them closed, drop your nutrients for a bit until they stop spreading, and consider some bumblebee snails which may help you out by eating them.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that each tube seems to have two tentacles (called palps) sticking out, these are either Spionid or Phyllochaetopterus worms; based on the size of the palps, I'd guess Phyllochaetopterus, but they typically prefer to build their tubes down in the sand rather than the rock, so it's really 50-50 and they may be Spionids too (you'd probably need get a specimen out of its tube and under a microscope to tell for sure which it is).

Either way, generally speaking, both Spionids and Phyllochaetopterus worms (as long as they aren't popping up through/boring through your corals) are harmless/beneficial.

If they're reproducing quickly enough that you'd consider them pests, however, that's not good. These worms can be pretty difficult to eliminate when the need arises, as they're well-protected against predation and can regrow large chunks of their bodies (so you need to remove the whole worm, but they're quite difficult to remove). Currently, there are some forum members who are experimenting with various medications to try eliminating Coral-boring Spionids, and those experiments seem to have the only effective methods we've found so far for getting rid of them (though some species are vulnerable to less risky methods of removal such as coral dips).

Personally, I'd suggest trying to figure out what in your tank is allowing them to thrive and reproduce so quickly - such as if you have an excessive amount of tiny foods available/fed to the tank regularly. If you can find what's allowing them to thrive, you can see about changing it to control the population.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back