Wormwood Treatment for AEFW

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff in this thread. Do you know if the Wormwood TINCTURE would work? Or it must be powder / dry leaves for it to work? If Tincture works, any guidelines?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff in this thread. Do you know if the Wormwood TINCTURE would work? Or it must be powder / dry leaves for it to work? If Tincture works, any guidelines?
Not getting into the merits of wormwood or not (first time reading).. there are a multitude of ways to make a tincture, oil.. alcohol, If it were me .. I would not use a tincture for anything tank related.. well.. maybe a THC/CBD.. might not hurt! ;)

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ColoredRock. Thanks for the reply. What is a THC/CBD?
Perhaps this would work? Cane Alcohol sounds like carbon dosing (i.e. Vodka Dosing).

Herb Pharm Organic Wormwood Liquid Extract for Digestive System Support​

Description:

The herb is extracted in small batches with Organic cane alcohol for potency and to maintain the balance of phytochemicals as they exist in the plant. We assure herb identity via macroscopic and organoleptic analysis, then confirm it through methods such as HPTLC fingerprinting specific to each herb. Our liquid extracts are easily dispensed, taken in liquid form and added to water or other liquid.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A complete waste of time, there are only two ways to beat AEFW right now IMO. Bin all your ACROS and wait for them to die out or break all your Acropora off the rock work and put them on a shelf. Make sure to kill all the encrusted bits on the rocks. Dip all the Acros on the shelf once a week for 8 weeks in Reef primer. This will kill any worms on the Acros and kill any new hatches before they can lay more eggs. It will also force any worms in the tank to move onto the shelf as they will have to eat and you will catch them on the dips. A pretty straightforward procedure that will exterminate them from your tank. There is no way to beat them and without doing this...everything else is just snake oil and hearsay with no evidence to back it up.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A complete waste of time, there are only two ways to beat AEFW right now IMO. Bin all your ACROS and wait for them to die out or break all your Acropora off the rock work and put them on a shelf. Make sure to kill all the encrusted bits on the rocks. Dip all the Acros on the shelf once a week for 8 weeks in Reef primer. This will kill any worms on the Acros and kill any new hatches before they can lay more eggs. It will also force any worms in the tank to move onto the shelf as they will have to eat and you will catch them on the dips. A pretty straightforward procedure that will exterminate them from your tank. There is no way to beat them and without doing this...everything else is just snake oil and hearsay with no evidence to back it up.
Sadly I have to agree with the opinion that the off the shelf AEFW remedies are ineffective at least in my tank.
Purge
AEFW-X
KZ Flatworm Stop

I could not tell any difference at all. At least 8 weeks with each, often double dose.

Get them all on racks, dip weekly for 8 weeks or so. I used potassium chloride (1 tblsp per gallon of tank water). Buy a bin that your rack(s) will fit into nicely. Baste for 8 minutes or so. Rinsing is optional.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I have to agree with the opinion that the off the shelf AEFW remedies are ineffective at least in my tank.
Purge
AEFW-X
KZ Flatworm Stop

I could not tell any difference at all. At least 8 weeks with each, often double dose.

Get them all on racks, dip weekly for 8 weeks or so. I used potassium chloride (1 tblsp per gallon of tank water). Buy a bin that your rack(s) will fit into nicely. Baste for 8 minutes or so. Rinsing is optional.
Yeah they should be fairly straightforward forward to beat using this method. You will probably loose some acros though.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda is there any specific type of wormwood powder needed? I'm finding powders described as 10:1 and 20:1 extracts but also some just described as wormwood powder.

Thank you

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, why not just put some of the wormwood in one of those fine net bags (the ones used for GFO, purigen, etc... and just put it in the sump? Then replace it every week or so....

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recci, have you tried using fws to reduce populations and damage before? 100 percent the best way to make sure they are gone is to dip weekly for 6+ weeks. Even this method used to be viewed like snake oil as well and most said there was no way to get rid of them at all. The few who tried the method and did it wrong loved to say it was nonsense and all acropora needed to be trashed to have a clean tank again.

I get that random people might not have got the fws to work reducing worm populations. But I would put money on it that most just didn’t stick with the process long enough. The products very helpful if you have the patience to sit with aefw in your tank for possibly sometimes a year, depending on your infestation level. I have said from the start I believe basting the corals very often is very important when using the fws method. You can’t expect the product to do ALL the work. Also if the acroporas health is already compromised from many bites it will take that much longer for the wormwood or fws to show any real results. Doing a complete inspection and egg removal and dip of all affected colonies is part of succeeding with any aefw treatment. Just tossing in fws or wormwood daily and saying it didn’t work a month or two later is, not really trying.
I feel like anyone saying it’s snake oil just didn’t feel like going through the complete process that has been layed out and or viewed the product as snake oil from the start. There are many superb acropora growers that use fws and will agree it’s effective in reducing numbers and damage along with increasing health, or slime on acropora. If only more would be willing to actually try and break the lifecycle of these worms with the product but most get scared and rush to find a solution right away. These worms are not a death sentence unless you let them reproduce to extreme numbers.

No one has any new experience and suggestions? Would love to hear any new experience good or bad.

rimsky, do a little more reading on the kz flat worm stop method. Just adding leaves in a bag to the tank is not a good idea if you ask me. It’s all about keeping a specific daily dose in the tank all the time that affects the worms. Leaves in a bag would be a huge release and then slowly be ineffective. Likely wouldn’t do anything.

tropicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll raise the thread again. I have a few more questions.

• Are there any new experiences with this warmwood treatment?
  • how exactly do you set up the solution. How many grams of powder is taken for the recipe.
  • Is hot water used for infusion (like making tea) and is the solution filtered before adding?
  • How many ml do you give in which interval?
  • Do you put the finished solution in the fridge?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• how exactly do you set up the solution. How many grams of powder is taken for the recipe.
  • Is hot water used for infusion (like making tea) and is the solution filtered before adding?
How big is your tank?

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did not have much luck with this method. I always would dip/rinse every sps colony weekly until they were gone

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back