Worried about my clown.

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m a bit worried about my Clown fish. I have the fluval evo 13.5 and have just recently changed the filtration to in tank media basket with chemi blue, marine pure gems, bio plus coarse and nitrax with filter floss on top woth the siice 1.0 pump. Come back from wprk today and he doesn’t seem to be himself. Sitting in corner of tank like this. I have checked the parameters of ph, amonia, nitrite and nitrate but nothing major on readings.

E7E9E048-B0E9-4114-8CEA-9636668D0D63.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, he's not doing well.

Can you get closer up pics of him so we can see if there are any outside signs of disease? Does he seem to be labored breathing?

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, he's not doing well.

Can you get closer up pics of him so we can see if there are any outside signs of disease? Does he seem to be labored breathing?
Sadly i have woke up thismorn and he has passed away! Gutted! Also one scooter blenny! When i changed the filter media and basket etc the water went pretty cloudy! Surely this has got to be the cause? I still have a clown and a scooter alive. Should i do a water change?

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly i have woke up thismorn and he has passed away! Gutted! Also one scooter blenny! When i changed the filter media and basket etc the water went pretty cloudy! Surely this has got to be the cause? I still have a clown and a scooter alive. Should i do a water change?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your parameters. Nitrates would be a good starting point

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have done a water change but have to go to work now! Hopefully others are ok... this is him. Any signs of disease? Snails were on top of him when i come down stairs.

Attachments

• DC41BD77-9584-4B05-B629-E8A592B363AC.jpeg
    DC41BD77-9584-4B05-B629-E8A592B363AC.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 917D2B56-A4F2-4195-96D5-DA7181616497.jpeg
    917D2B56-A4F2-4195-96D5-DA7181616497.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 39

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@malas_reefer sorry for your loss... in the old days when a fish would die over night or randomly mom and me would freeze the fish and take a water sample from aquarium to the store from where we got it before the time of internet
Test your parameters. Nitrates would be a good starting point
This is what i would do check all the parameters... another question is where was the fish sourced from it is recomended thst you qt a fish after purchase in cupramine and machalite along with praziquantal sometime annehyde too, when people get fish in the mail or from a dirty system for 5 weeks alot of people that run live sand also let the tank fallow(no live stock only rocks and water)to rid the water of any dormant ciliate(marine parasites that feed on fish)for 6 to 8 weeks usually consider it first cycle

But another question too is would your clownfish start to change color when the lights go out or before they turn on etc etc, then they pick an area of the tank they stay there,now clownfish are normaly teritorial but not like this, you notice your clown fish didnt eat today like normal, you see the gill plate start to flutter harder than normal then it starts gasping for air...somethings not right you notice your fish is rubbing up against rocks, getting blasted by powerhead got sucked up in filter,your fish is letharhic its getting dropsy it picks a part of the aquarium to hunker down in a corner or in a cave on sandbed, you notice little bubbles around fins tail mouth,your fish is starting to turn from its once vibrant colors to a pale dull shade of its former self... you see white spots all along the scales...by this time its to late your fish is suffering,getting eaten inside out by a parasite known as flukes 4 to 8 hours have gone by your fish is dead!getting smaked around by the flow sucked up in over flow or takung a sand nap
If this was your story then you may have had flukes dormant within the fish
Causing marine velvet, ich or whitespot disaese,if this is the case save your other live stock now get a hospital tank setup dose cupramine product machalite or annehyde aswell as peroxide qt for 8 weeks and let display tank fallow(no livestock)for 6 to 8 weeks to kill any dormant ciliate treat tank with peroxide (do 80%water change and dose 1ml of vodka then reitroduce fish after

Last edited:

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could possibly be brooklynella too,to hard too tell from pic id freeze him then take him to lfs just for peace of mind
You dont want his little buddy to get munched on if he was hosting something nasty

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably another cycle starting noting to worry about this is pretty standard how old is your tank?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have done a water change but have to go to work now! Hopefully others are ok... this is him. Any signs of disease? Snails were on top of him when i come down stairs.
The coc will let you know if something isnt kosher,like mushrooms in the forest following death and decay(especially crusteceans and mollusks in the benthic zone you cant be too picky on whats for din din just be happy it wasnt me mr. Snail...

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably another cycle starting noting to worry about this is pretty standard how old is your tank?
It’s only 8 weeks old, i just wanted to get the upgrades in early... should of left it for longer really.... just tested parameters. I’m getting ph. 7.8, ammonia .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate looking pretty high between 10-20

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The params look a little off dkh nitrate salinity could have contributed,did you buy premix water or mix your own wawa with rodi and salt,do you top off daily with ro water and do weekly water changes (10 to 15%) and dose a buffer solution to stabilize dkh(such as stability or prime) and a bacteria regimin to turn macros in to a form that can be up taken in a usable form and the by product will asperate over time
It’s only 8 weeks old, i just wanted to get the upgrades in early... should of left it for longer really.... just tested parameters. I’m getting ph. 7.8, ammonia .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate looking pretty high between 10-20

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The params look a little off dkh nitrate salinity could have contributed,did you buy premix water or mix your own wawa with rodi and salt,do you top off daily with ro water and do weekly water changes (10 to 15%) and dose a buffer solution to stabilize dkh(such as stability or prime) and a bacteria regimin to turn macros in to a form that can be up taken in a usable form and the by product will asperate over time
I buy pre mixed from my lfs with rodi. I top off about every 3-4 days as it has a lid and doesn’t seem to be much evaporation. I do a weekly water change of about 15-20%. I just take advice from my lfs so havn’t added anything to the water. I’m brand new realy so don’t know much about dkh and bacteria regimin. Could do with some books or something to get up to scratch with things.

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an 8 week old tank is not mature enough for scooter blennies. could that have died first and caused an ammonia spike that killed the clown?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But im thinking if coc was lurking on the body you may have had an infected fish
Not param problem my man it coilve been n spike but the fish doesnt look burnt so i woupd say more likely dormant parasites(no fault of your own can be dormant on any fish even one that looks healthy at the pet store(ask if they can feed and see which ones attack food thats the fish you want not mid drifter or some guy off the bottom the pet store is out to get your money and that being said look at how densly populated theyre sale tanks are it no wonder sometime we bring home something nasty... now this is a pick of amonia burn you can see how it affect around the gill plate of this butterflyfish(coperish blue hue)

Now this is a ocellaris with ich a bad fluke out brake notice the paleness and deteration of the slime coat as this poor fish gets eaten inside out

Third pic is marine velvet another sub species of ciliate notice complete
Paleness an blotches

Fourth pic is brooklynella notice the slime coat peel at the top of dorsal fon leaving streamers

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 36
  • images (8).jpeg
    images (8).jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 24
  • images (9).jpeg
    images (9).jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 23
  • download (3).jpeg
    download (3).jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 29

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS video on YouTube

if your using api test kits get rid of them and get nyos or salifrait or Red Sea. Hanna makes digital checkers those come in handy for dkh

changing out media can make your tank cycle never a good idea really especially in a young tank you don’t have enough good bacteria in your sand and live rock to keep it from cycling. Should add new bio media for a few weeks then remove old.

wait and watch your other fish to make sure they are ok before adding another.
You should alway QT but if you can’t Quaratinedfish.us sells fish that are already QT

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS video on YouTube

if your using api test kits get rid of them and get nyos or salifrait or Red Sea. Hanna makes digital checkers those come in handy for dkh

changing out media can make your tank cycle never a good idea really especially in a young tank you don’t have enough good bacteria in your sand and live rock to keep it from cycling. Should add new bio media for a few weeks then remove old.

wait and watch your other fish to make sure they are ok before adding another.
You should alway QT but if you can’t Quaratinedfish.us sells fish that are already QT
Ok i’l keep an eye out. I am using API test kit also! I’l get that changed over right away!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back