OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But im thinking if coc was lurking on the body you may have had an infected fish
Not param problem my man it coilve been n spike but the fish doesnt look burnt so i woupd say more likely dormant parasites(no fault of your own can be dormant on any fish even one that looks healthy at the pet store(ask if they can feed and see which ones attack food thats the fish you want not mid drifter or some guy off the bottom the pet store is out to get your money and that being said look at how densly populated theyre sale tanks are it no wonder sometime we bring home something nasty... now this is a pick of amonia burn you can see how it affect around the gill plate of this butterflyfish(coperish blue hue)

Now this is a ocellaris with ich a bad fluke out brake notice the paleness and deteration of the slime coat as this poor fish gets eaten inside out

Third pic is marine velvet another sub species of ciliate notice complete
Paleness an blotches

Fourth pic is brooklynella notice the slime coat peel at the top of dorsal fon leaving streamers
Thanks. I will keep all this in mind... it always had a dull colour mouth? Not as orange as the female?

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an 8 week old tank is not mature enough for scooter blennies. could that have died first and caused an ammonia spike that killed the clown?
I just went off the lfs advice tbh. He said they will be fine and give me some Copepods. Told me to buy them weekly and hoy them in tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly i have woke up thismorn and he has passed away! Gutted! Also one scooter blenny! When i changed the filter media and basket etc the water went pretty cloudy! Surely this has got to be the cause? I still have a clown and a scooter alive. Should i do a water change?
Sorry to hear he didn't make it through the night.

I quickly scanned the posts since our last discussion. Your alkalinity, nitrates, ph are not an issue and should not have had an impact on the fish dying.

Your tank is very young still....I'm not sure you really need reactors on the system yet. The tank should be well cycled by now though.

It's hard to look at dead fish and determine exactly what occcured sometimes. Death causes the fish to lose coloration, etc... that are clues to what is going on. Hence my initial request for closer pictures while he was still alive. Sometimes those closeup pics are hard to obtain with fish, though.

Clowns are extremely susceptible to Brooklynella which can kill rapidly. The worrisome part is that if the fish actually died due to a disease, it is now in your system. Many people don't quarantine fish prior to putting into a display tank and learn to live with different diseases by keeping their fish's immune systems up with good quality foods. Others, me included, quarantine and prophylactically treat for different disease prior to a fish being put in my DT. Typically I keep a fish around 3 months in a smaller system while monitoring and treating. This may minimize chances of getting diseases in a system, but there's always a chance they can still get through treatment protocols. I prophylactially treat for Brooklynella in quarantine with all Clowns due to the high prevalence in this species. If you don't quarantine, this may be something that you wish to begin adding into your hobby. Even if you don't want to treat with medications, you should still observe new fish for a few weeks prior to adding to your tank. Normally any disease would present itself during that time.

If there were no outward signs of disease on the fish, then he may have died from an internal parasite or just from a natural cause!

You are doing water changes every week which is a good thing to ensure you keep doing and getting into the habit of doing as a new aquarium keeper! Good habit to maintain!

Snails on the fish don't indicate disease or parasites. Nassarious snails (and a few other types) are meat eaters and they will only start to eat a fish or another snail, etc... if they are already dead. The snails were just jumping in for a free meal and helping to clean up the aquarium.

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear he didn't make it through the night.

I quickly scanned the posts since our last discussion. Your alkalinity, nitrates, ph are not an issue and should not have had an impact on the fish dying.

Your tank is very young still....I'm not sure you really need reactors on the system yet. The tank should be well cycled by now though.

It's hard to look at dead fish and determine exactly what occcured sometimes. Death causes the fish to lose coloration, etc... that are clues to what is going on. Hence my initial request for closer pictures while he was still alive. Sometimes those closeup pics are hard to obtain with fish, though.

Clowns are extremely susceptible to Brooklynella which can kill rapidly. The worrisome part is that if the fish actually died due to a disease, it is now in your system. Many people don't quarantine fish prior to putting into a display tank and learn to live with different diseases by keeping their fish's immune systems up with good quality foods. Others, me included, quarantine and prophylactically treat for different disease prior to a fish being put in my DT. Typically I keep a fish around 3 months in a smaller system while monitoring and treating. This may minimize chances of getting diseases in a system, but there's always a chance they can still get through treatment protocols. I prophylactially treat for Brooklynella in quarantine with all Clowns due to the high prevalence in this species. If you don't quarantine, this may be something that you wish to begin adding into your hobby. Even if you don't want to treat with medications, you should still observe new fish for a few weeks prior to adding to your tank. Normally any disease would present itself during that time.

If there were no outward signs of disease on the fish, then he may have died from an internal parasite or just from a natural cause!

You are doing water changes every week which is a good thing to ensure you keep doing and getting into the habit of doing as a new aquarium keeper! Good habit to maintain!

Snails on the fish don't indicate disease or parasites. Nassarious snails (and a few other types) are meat eaters and they will only start to eat a fish or another snail, etc... if they are already dead. The snails were just jumping in for a free meal and helping to clean up the aquarium.
What are the reactors? The bio coarse and nitrax? Should i remove them from the media basket or just leave them be?
quarantining the fish is something i will look into in the future, like i say only been doing it 8 weeks so everything new to me atm. I will let the tank tick over now until after Christmas/new year and see how things go before adding anymore live stock.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the reactors? The bio coarse and nitrax? Should i remove them from the media basket or just leave them be?
quarantining the fish is something i will look into in the future, like i say only been doing it 8 weeks so everything new to me atm. I will let the tank tick over now until after Christmas/new year and see how things go before adding anymore live stock.
Sorry, i must have misread the messages in the thread about your tank having a reactor. I'm assuming you are using the media to reduce your nitrates?

In a young tank, the nitrates shouldn't really be a big problem so early on. Water changes are probably the best way to reduce nitrates without having to use media to do it. But, you should find out the source of those elevated nitrates and see about fixing this issues. You have a low bio-load, so it shouldn't be coming from fish waste. One of the biggest sources is over-feeding.

Good plan to slowly increase fish into the system, though. This allows the nitrifying bacteria to increase as the bio load increases.

I definitely recommend seeing up a small quarantine system. It can be done inexpensively with a small 10g tank, hob filter, small heater, ammonia alert badge, some fake plants and pvc fittings for fish caves, and a few meds if you wish to go that route.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back