Worried about my Hammer and Open Brain

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wackzood1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wackzood1

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
18
Reaction score
12
Location
Westminster Ca
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is only about a month old. (I'm new to this) I got both of these corals at Reef a Palooza. And the hammer isn't looking good from what I can tell. The open brain lost some of its color but seems to be coming back. Any help or advice is welcome.

Ph 8.2
Alk 8ppm
Phosphate 0.35
Salinity 1.025
78°F

20171010_161928.jpg


20171012_131848.jpg


20171012_131919.jpg


20171012_131937.jpg
 
MAybe it's just the pictures but your tank looks a little bit cloudy?
Do you have any other corals?
What are your lights set at? It could be a light acclimation issue?
Is your clownfish bothering either of them?
 
Newly introduced corals usually take some time to get used to their new tank, watch the brain coral though since it looks a little pale. The hammer actually looks pretty good. You did a good job on the placement too :)

What are your nitrate levels? Alk is a little low at 8 (not dangerous, just a little on the low side). Most folks keep their alk around 9-11. You'll want to get in the habit of testing for nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium as you add more corals.
 
MAybe it's just the pictures but your tank looks a little bit cloudy?
Do you have any other corals?
What are your lights set at? It could be a light acclimation issue?
Is your clownfish bothering either of them?

The tank is crystal clear the picture is a little cloudy because I shattered the glass on the camera on my phone LOL. I have a couple of small zoa colonies a single Duncan head and a small acan frag that all seem fine. the clownfish seem to leave them alone. I have a kessil a360we about halfway up on both spectrum and intensity and an ice cap 3 K gyre pump running constant at 10% because I was worried that the Hammers problem was too much flow even though it's in the lowest flow area I could find in the tank.
 
Newly introduced corals usually take some time to get used to their new tank, watch the brain coral though since it looks a little pale. The hammer actually looks pretty good. You did a good job on the placement too :)

What are your nitrate levels? Alk is a little low at 8 (not dangerous, just a little on the low side). Most folks keep their alk around 9-11. You'll want to get in the habit of testing for nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium as you add more corals.

I'm not sure if my nitrate levels or my calcium levels because I'm still waiting for my Hanna checkers to come in the mail because they were on backorder. I did a 10% water change today and took a water sample with me to my lfs and came home and Dosed my ATO tank with reef buffer. So hopefully that helps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 36 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new