Worth switching salt brands

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to reefing so still a lot that I hand to learn. I’m currently using reef crystals for my salt mixing at 1.025 I have elevated levels which people say is normal. The tank seems to be doing fine. But it is still new.
I have considered possibly dosing with red seas products in the future because I’ve seen great results from people using Red Sea.
So would it be worth it to switch to Red Sea salt so their whole program works as a whole?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt to use has been one of the most recurring threads I have seen on here with everyone having their experience/opinion on just about all of them.

But, what I have seen that everyone agrees on is to find a salt that has the Ca, dKH, and MG parameters that you like and can keep stable. I personally use Red Sea Coral Pro (black bucket) salt because I have had success the last two years following their Mixed Reef recipe and it has the levels they recommend, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will see the same results.

What I would suggest is if you are interested in their products (like I am), check out their Reef Care Recipes and choose the one you like as they list parameters and products used to maintain different tank types.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn't one brand of salt that is better than another. You need to use a salt that mixes up to the numbers closest to what you want to keep. Red Sea Blue for example is meant for low nutrient tanks, and mixes up at a lower ALK than Reef Crystals. If you are using RC and everything is going good, switching salts isn't going to make much of a difference.

rhymechizel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to Red Sea from reef crystals because my alk and Ca are higher than I want. Instant ocean would be another good choice IMO. My tank was doing fantastic with reef crystals but my tank just isnt consuming a lot of Ca and alk yet and I want to be able to do a water change without my Ca and Alk running higher and higher.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched about 6 months ago from Red Sea black bucket to Instant Ocean did not see any change whatsoever mixing it at 1.026 gravity both dissolved pretty fast IO had higher Kh and Ca that was all but other than that no changes in corals, growth, color etc it all stood the same

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Oceanic 3 years ago and switched to RSCP and loved it, then I won a free bag of Live aquaria's salt and use that on my nanos now and am very pleased with it, and got some Brightwell NeoMarine super cheap so I'm using that currently on the 55 gallon and am pretty happy but the Alkalinity and Calcium seem lower.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on personal preference on salt. Trying to find a salt that matches the numbers you want to keep, can be like splitting hairs.

I'm old school and have been using just plan old Instant Ocean for years now and have been perfectly happy with it.

I found by trying different salt that it really didn't matter in the long run for me. To each their own. Personal preference.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Just started with reef crystals because my LFS recomnded it as a cheap option for a reef tank. Went cheap because figured I would be doing a lot of water changes to get my nitrates down after a cycle.
See a lot of successful tanks ran on the Red Sea program. So should I switch salt brands now while the tank is still new if I end up using Red Seas program or is switching salts not a huge issue if done slowly?

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Just started with reef crystals because my LFS recomnded it as a cheap option for a reef tank. Went cheap because figured I would be doing a lot of water changes to get my nitrates down after a cycle.
See a lot of successful tanks ran on the Red Sea program. So should I switch salt brands now while the tank is still new if I end up using Red Seas program or is switching salts not a huge issue if done slowly?
Switching salts isn't a huge issue......you can just start using the new salt at your next water change if you wanted to.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you. Some people made it seem like it was a major change.
Nope.....if you were doing enormous water changes (changing 50-100% of your water for example), depending on the differences in water chemistry (ALK specifically), it could cause issues. If you are doing normal, small water changes, you won't have any problems. My last salt switch was from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Blue, which is a huge difference in water chemistry. I continued my normal 20% weekly water changes with the new salt without any issues whatsoever.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you. Some people made it seem like it was a major change.

It isn't. You may just need to account for differences in alk and calcium in how you maintain the tank levels. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to reefing so still a lot that I hand to learn. I’m currently using reef crystals for my salt mixing at 1.025 I have elevated levels which people say is normal. The tank seems to be doing fine. But it is still new.
I have considered possibly dosing with red seas products in the future because I’ve seen great results from people using Red Sea.
So would it be worth it to switch to Red Sea salt so their whole program works as a whole?

All salt mixes work just fine if you know what is needed by the tank. It can be a little easier in some circumstances to use a mix that matches your desired tank levels, but that isn't "necessary" by any means. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have an LPS softie tank there’s no reason for elevates levels then right?

The LPS may grow faster at higher alk, but it is not needed for any tank to have alk and calcium higher than NSW levels. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back