would a true aussie micro please stand up?

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen way too many acans (correction: what I think to be acans) called micros. I've yet to see one of aussie descent even remotely resemble an Indo micro IMHO. I know this subject has been brought up within other threads, but I think a closer look would be a good topic. Without getting too technical with the "I have to see the skeleton" topic, what subjective measurements are being used to label something a micro? :)

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey wich one are micro
first one is really small polyps less then a dime, the other one is UFO

coralsnew3083.jpg

4121-1.jpg

kenske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started collecting micros. I recently picked one up, "a aussi micro". It is a sweet looking piece, but i do not "buy" the fact that it is a micro. The polyps size is bigger than my smallest lord. I even asked a hardcore micro collector (the Doc). He said that there are numerous times where a wholsaler/diver would try to convince him that a acan lord is a micro. He explained that true micros polyps are more "free standing" when compared to the smaller lords.

I have not seen an actual aussi micro. I think many vendors can't even tell the difference themselves, but rely on their supplier to tell them what it is. Either that, or they knowingly sell it as a "aussi micro". After all they can sell it for much more $$$ if labeled that.

Anyway, great topic. I wish there is a fool proof way to tell the difference. i do not want to get ripped off. Micro experts, please chime in.

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that is the one im thinking about, i did not buy that coral for the reason you stated ...

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think jabol has a true aussy micro and he have some awesome pics of it... witold i didnot made any good pics yet of that rainbow

OP
OP
greystreet41

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True statement above about how vendors are sold pieces named micros by the supplier. In many instances the supplier is no better at IDing than I was/am at any point. Small polyped acans aren't enough to call them micros imo. I have more than a few tiny polyped acans that I still don't think resemble micros. Personally I'm not too into micros because the frag sizes are too small for my liking. Give me a nice colored lord or even a bower for that matter. To each their own. :)

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Transshipper keeps trying to sell me small acans as micros LOL not even close and they insist that they are micros... the Australian collector/diver now wants me to sign a release that states I will not disagree with his ID or he will no longer ship me Aussie corals LOL I can find Aussie "ACANS" anywhere I told them no way would I sign that... How rediculous... Anyway the BEST, the Most simple, the really very close to accurate answer is simple... it comes from vernon... Basically Micromussa Amakusensis is NEVER larger than 8mm ... I would say that this seems about 95% accurate in my dealings up to now 1" = 25mm so that means that a typical micro polyp is ALMOST... ALMOST always smaller than 1/4" (8mm)
On a lighter subject check out this <8mm subject LOL
VOODOO
VooDoo791.jpg

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much!!! i got the email but i delete a lot of emails and forgot to look at it

jabol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow

Here is one picture of a small frag:

rainbow2et5.jpg

I bought it as aussie micro:)

Last edited:

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice looking frag, is this a actinic shot,, jabol just curious cause the blue

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dodo .................................................................................................
s%it is that the one you gave me?

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok if we showing here what we think aussie here a couple
microsnew006.jpg

microsnew003.jpg

4172.jpg

witold104.jpg

let me know how you feel guys...
i call feel like it is something new.. specially after collecting many,many micros before aussie craze started.. i was alredy pritty used to to the regular indo-jap selection and know unexpected pieces/colors pop out every were ...

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back