Would switching to RODI water cause my carbonate hardness to drop?

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about a month now i switched to RODI water for my 75 gallon tank. I do a weekly 10 gallon waterchange. I use a simple test strip each week just to keep an eye on things. I have noticed my KH/ carbonate hardness is steady going lower. Its at 40ppm today. Also, my General hardness was going down as well, but it has been fixed.
Should i be concerned? The only other things ive been doing is I manually dose a few drops of magnesium and kalkwasser about 3 times a day(to fix the GH, and it has worked). My GH is back up to 180ppm and staying. Not sure about KH/alkalinity or what i should do. I did not expect this with RODI water. I bought the 5 stage system BRS. The TDS meter says 0 on the filtered water.
I use the Red Sea salt mix in the blue bucket. I did not have any issues before i switched to RODI.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using distilled water before. My levels pretty much stayed the same. I do have a good amount of coraline, but i did before too so im not sure its that. I have had a large amount of brown hair algae start up after the switch as well, but i think that is going away slowly. My nitrates and phosphates are ok.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put my faith in any test strips. My first step would be to get a better test kit and a second opinion from your LFS.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have good calcium, phosphate, and hanna salinity tests so far. They are expensive so i pick one up every once in awhile to add to my set. I just use the strips often if theres not really any problem for monitoring.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 ppm carbonate hardness is almost certainly way off base. It corresponds to 2.2 dKH, which just does not happen in a reef tank.

I’d get a real alkalinity kit.

Distilled and ro/di (assuming it is functioning) are both fine and contain no alkalinity.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 ppm carbonate hardness is almost certainly way off base. It corresponds to 2.2 dKH, which just does not happen in a reef tank.

Distilled and ro/di (assuming it is functioning) are both fine and contain no alkalinity.
Thanks. I guess ive got to get a new test kit. But what can i do to raise the carbonate hardness?

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have good calcium, phosphate, and hanna salinity tests so far. They are expensive so i pick one up every once in awhile to add to my set. I just use the strips often if theres not really any problem for
As soon as you suspect a problem use the more accurate hanna checkers.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well the RO unit is brand new and the TDS meter testing the water as it exits the final filter says zero so im sure its working fine. I am just very confused because my levels have been always pretty good and very stable until now.
I thought about it... and i Did use my wood burning stove this weekend. Its Massachusetts and getting colder here. So...Possibly that made an issue? I am fairly new still to reefing and learning my way. I only have a few softies, mushrooms, an anenome, and fish right now. But i really would love some montipora cap. I was hoping to finally be able to try a couple sps with a real RODI water unit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I guess ive got to get a new test kit. But what can i do to raise the carbonate hardness?

Absolutely nothing unless and until you know you need it. Right now you have no such knowledge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back